• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many 5e core books does your gaming group have?

Tormyr

Hero
I have had up to 7 players at my table, but I have not had an accurate count of anything beyond PHBs which everyone has.
8 PHBs
2-3 MMs
2-3 DMGs

Shiroiken

Legend
Out of nine people, I know we have at least:

1 Starter Set
9 PHB
3 MM
3 DMG
1 HotDQ
1 RoT

We probably have one more of each, less the PHB, but I can't confirm that. It might be important to know that we have 3 active games with different DMs, and at least 1 of those DMs is also running in OP.

samursus

Explorer
My group of 3 couples and 1 guy has 5 PHB's, 1 DMG, 1MM, 1 Starter set, 1 HotDQ, 1 RoT. I bought all the non-PHB's, being the DM. I also have the DM Screen and pre-ordered Princes of the Apocalypse. Loving me some 5e. This is the most we have played since BEMCI.

delericho

Legend
My group is currently sitting at 67 members, although of these maybe 20 are reglaularly active. I believe there are 3 people who have 5e books - 3 sets of the core, 2 copies of HotDQ, plus 1 each of Rise and the Starter Set. I don't think anyone has any third-party material. It's probably worth noting that thus far we've played barely any 5e, and no full campaigns yet.

Those figures are broadly comparable with other games: most often, only our GMs buy any books, but those GMs tend to buy a lot of books. D&D (various editions), and to a lesser extent Pathfinder, seem to be something of an exception to that GM-only rule - because these games are played vastly more often than others, it's not entirely unknown for players to buy the PHB/Core Rulebook.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
My group has...

3 PHBs
2 DMGs
2 MMs
1 starter set

As much as I want to support the brand, I couldn't bring myself to purchase Tyranny of Dragons, after reading a copy at work.

Remove ads