• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How many air-blown waterskins are needed, if wearing metal armors, to prevent sinking in water?

greg kaye

Explorer
Earlier Paragraph: "You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial."

i.e. if it's not an object, a door or a container Mage Hand cannot interact with it in any way (RAW).
again, it's not the topic of the thread but my interpretation was simply that:
The wizard also likely has 10 lb of lift from mage hand ...
Sure, "likely" was my interpretation but I'd also say that the earlier text was likely present examples of what the hand could do.
... whether the hand can have any interaction with an "object" that weighs more than 10 pounds may depend on DM interpretation:
1684841829406.png

Oofta

Legend
The thing with plate armor is that so many DMs seem to just go out of their way to punish characters wearing heavy armor because they seem to feel that plate armor is "too good". They're simultaneously ignoring the trade-offs that come with heavy armor such as likely poor dex saves and, of course, being as stealthy as a one man band. All of this because they have a 10-15% lower chance of hitting someone in full plate compared to the maxed out dex based character. Completely ignore the fact that they probably have half the chance to make a dex save over some other builds.

So people in plate sink like a stone, you can't even take a nap in heavy armor and so on. Because suddenly for, and only for, people in plate armor D&D must be "realistic". Ever try to swim fully clothed? While carrying gear that, for you, is practically at your carrying capacity? Why is it that people in plate sink like a stone but that other PC in brigandine at 95% of their carrying capacity is just fine?

I had a player with a PC that literally could not carry an extra 5 pounds of gear because it would put them into the encumbered category. They also carried a weapon and a shield along with the ubiquitous backpack. But because they were wearing breastplate instead of plate, many DMs would have just given them a pass. DMs never ask what percentage of your carrying capacity you're at when it comes to this kind of stuff, never give the person holding things in both hands any kind of penalty.

I get that some armors may restrict your movement and make it difficult to swim. But I've also never seen anyone try to swim while carrying a longbow in their hand while still having that quiver strapped to your back. Much less a shield in one hand, weapon in the other, backpack stuffed to the brim.

Ultimately though I have to ask is it fun? Does a specific ruling I come up with penalize one type of build, one specific way to build a character? For the former the answer is no, for the latter the answer is yes. Is swimming in plate realistic? Maybe not, although I would still like to see a test with a gambeson under plate that I've never seen, but who cares? If we were being realistic any time anyone went overboard they'd have to lose most of their hard earned gear. But I've never seen any DM do that.

This has nothing to do with the question, but since we had a good answer for that another issue I have is the penalty for sleeping in heavy armor. Why is this penalty only for certain types of armor? Is it really any worse to sleep in plate that has been made specifically for you than in armor that has plates of metals riveted between layers of leather (brigandine, i.e. studded leather) armor? Does a breastplate suddenly become warm and cuddly because you're trying to take a nap?

I've done a lot of backpacking, most of the time with no pad just a sleeping bag on hard ground or even rock. I slept just fine, maybe I needed to stretch the kinks out for a minute in the morning. Add in that for the vast majority of human history beds, if they even existed as we know them, were reserved for the wealthy. You do not need a comfy cushion to get a good nights sleep. Relatively warm and not wet make more of a difference than anything.

Those guys were the kind of people who would be willing to step into a lake or a swimming pool wearing metal armour. The first guy likely had the equivalent of a chain shirt while the second had Japanese armour that looked to be largely composed of leather which might even contain air while having about the same weight as water.

Chain armour, in our physics, would give a downward drag or 48 lbs and I'd hope that the fighter would have a similarly high level of swimming expertise.

The description of mage hand says that it "can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds." Some might say that this means that it can carry up to 10 pounds of weight. Unless drowning is immediate, nothing would need to be done simultaneously.

Google 'the Guy in the Gym' fallacy, because you're doing it right here.

Humans are naturally boyant. We need weight on us to actually sink (and that can be counteracted by treading water in any event).

That's the whole point of dive belts, which are adorned with lead weights.

Seriously mate, get a backpack or a running vest, and load it up with a few smaller weights from a gym and see how you go (with adequate safety procedures in place of course).

Here is a dude swimming with a plate carrier (1.5 kilos), front and back plates (3-4kgs each), helmet (1.8kgs) and clothing. Probably around 10 kilos of gear:

He's 'the guy at the Gym' and he's able to swim (albeit struggling), and he's not able to kill a fire-breathing dragon with a pointy stick.

Fighters are NOT the guy in the gym. They're epic heroes. They can swim in armor just fine.

The thing with plate armor is that so many DMs seem to just go out of their way to punish characters wearing heavy armor because they seem to feel that plate armor is "too good". They're simultaneously ignoring the trade-offs that come with heavy armor such as likely poor dex saves and, of course, being as stealthy as a one man band. All of this because they have a 10-15% lower chance of hitting someone in full plate compared to the maxed out dex based character. Completely ignore the fact that they probably have half the chance to make a dex save over some other builds.

So people in plate sink like a stone, you can't even take a nap in heavy armor and so on. Because suddenly for, and only for, people in plate armor D&D must be "realistic". Ever try to swim fully clothed? While carrying gear that, for you, is practically at your carrying capacity? Why is it that people in plate sink like a stone but that other PC in brigandine at 95% of their carrying capacity is just fine?

I had a player with a PC that literally could not carry an extra 5 pounds of gear because it would put them into the encumbered category. They also carried a weapon and a shield along with the ubiquitous backpack. But because they were wearing breastplate instead of plate, many DMs would have just given them a pass. DMs never ask what percentage of your carrying capacity you're at when it comes to this kind of stuff, never give the person holding things in both hands any kind of penalty.

I get that some armors may restrict your movement and make it difficult to swim. But I've also never seen anyone try to swim while carrying a longbow in their hand while still having that quiver strapped to your back. Much less a shield in one hand, weapon in the other, backpack stuffed to the brim.

Ultimately though I have to ask is it fun? Does a specific ruling I come up with penalize one type of build, one specific way to build a character? For the former the answer is no, for the latter the answer is yes. Is swimming in plate realistic? Maybe not, although I would still like to see a test with a gambeson under plate that I've never seen, but who cares? If we were being realistic any time anyone went overboard they'd have to lose most of their hard earned gear. But I've never seen any DM do that.

This has nothing to do with the question, but since we had a good answer for that another issue I have is the penalty for sleeping in heavy armor. Why is this penalty only for certain types of armor? Is it really any worse to sleep in plate that has been made specifically for you than in armor that has plates of metals riveted between layers of leather (brigandine, i.e. studded leather) armor? Does a breastplate suddenly become warm and cuddly because you're trying to take a nap?

I've done a lot of backpacking, most of the time with no pad just a sleeping bag on hard ground or even rock. I slept just fine, maybe I needed to stretch the kinks out for a minute in the morning. Add in that for the vast majority of human history beds, if they even existed as we know them, were reserved for the wealthy. You do not need a comfy cushion to get a good nights sleep. Relatively warm and not wet make more of a difference than anything.

Its the same when DMs ask for Ability checks to climb a rope.

Something children (and military recruits) can routinely do. Something ANYONE who can lift their own bodyweight off the ground can routinely do.

Unless you're a morbidly obese or heavily encumbered PC and have a low Strength score (i.e your total weight of you and your gear is higher than your Max lift number) you simply lift yourself off the ground, and lock the rope in an S between your feet. Rest if you need to and repeat.

tomBitonti

Adventurer

Something children (and military recruits) can routinely do. Something ANYONE who can lift their own bodyweight off the ground can routinely do.

Unless you're a morbidly obese or heavily encumbered PC and have a low Strength score (i.e your total weight of you and your gear is higher than your Max lift number) you simply lift yourself off the ground, and lock the rope in an S between your feet. Rest if you need to and repeat.
Eh, this gets a lot harder if the rope is hanging loose, or is against a surface, or is slippery, or is thin.

Bonus question: how does the answer change if the person starts 10’ under water?

TomB

Oofta

Legend

Depends on the rope. Young kids have an easier time because most are relatively light. Even then back in high school (the last time I had to do this) many of the kids couldn't do it. Ask an adult to do the rope climb and I think most would fail. Of course people historically were not the couch potatoes we are today either so there is that.

But a knotted rope? I'm not going to ask for a check unless it's to see how quickly you can climb.

Oofta

Legend
No it doesnt:

No it doesnt:

Climbing a rope is something a relatively healthy (Str 10, Con 10) Commoner can do, with next to zero chance of failure.
Gee, videos of either little kids or obviously athletic/strong people climbing ropes while carrying nothing but the clothes on their backs. Doesn't really say much.

Remove ads