• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how many are using the new power cards

Stormtower

First Post
The Character Builder is superior to all other options for power cards that I've found. I am usually a completist, and I have purchased every 4E product that WotC has released so far (including a DDI subscription, obviously) but I'm going to pass on the power cards.

Honestly, releasing the power cards as an official product (outside of the DDI itself) seems like a pretty boneheaded move on WotC's part. They already have a product -- DDI -- which does the same job, only better... and it's automatically updated!

Real head-scratcher why these even made it past R&D, given the capabilities of DDI.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Honestly, releasing the power cards as an official product (outside of the DDI itself) seems like a pretty boneheaded move on WotC's part. They already have a product -- DDI -- which does the same job, only better... and it's automatically updated!

Real head-scratcher why these even made it past R&D, given the capabilities of DDI.

[COMPLETE SPECULATION]Unless they're planning on removing the power card generator from the CB.[/COMPLETE SPECULATION]

Stormtower

First Post
[COMPLETE SPECULATION]Unless they're planning on removing the power card generator from the CB.[/COMPLETE SPECULATION]

I see the RAMPANT SPECULATION tags on your post, so I'm not getting riled about this. However, if anyone from WotC is reading this, let me say for the record that you will permanently lose me as a DDI subscriber if the power card generator is removed from the CB.

My gaming group is already skeptical of 4E, and the Character Builder is slowly drawing them in due to its inherent awesomeness and ease of use. Removing one of the best features from it would be heinously foolish.

dm4hire

Explorer
I was telling someone the other day they would have been better off selling reams of blank power cards that a person could run thru their printer.

hexgrid

Explorer
This decision will cost Wizards ... oh well, I guess this is payback for 3.5 :devil:.

I doubt it. They always have character sheet packs and "official" dice, after all, even though both seem to be obviously pointless.

I'm sure a market for power cards exists, it's just unlikely that anyone who posts on EN World is part of it.

Gorrstagg

First Post
Since the 4E release, I've made my own cards for my group. I designed them to be good looking, with the flavor text, and the mechanical details on there as well at the bottom of all of them as needed, Attack, Damage, Ability Modifier. I print them up on high quality paper, slip them into a protective card sleeve, and then they attach the equivalent of price stickers to the boxes for the Attack, and so on, and then write their numbers in there. When it gets to be to erased looking, slap a new one on and away we go.

And I print out the cards as needed. And I can easily go in and adjust all the powers with future erratta as necessary.

I built base templates, and just copy and paste the good bits in and away we go. It takes me about 2-3 hours to do every single power and the paragon paths for a class, or when I'm working I can finish an entire class in a night. As it is, I've only got 4 more left to do, and then I await the next book, Arcane Powers, and so on.

I also make cards for each of the published dragon magazines, and just throw them right on in there. My players, find my cards to be so useful, and we've all got DDI but they prefer to have the cards in front of them. But they prefer my cards, not the way to late to the dance, look like crap cards. (Sorry designers of the WotC cards, they just look like the most basic uninspired rush job that one could well.. rush out.)

So no, we don't use them. Mine are better, and more easily customizable.

Remove ads