• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many attacks?

Rudar Dimble

First Post
Ok, here's something I don't fully understand from the PHB 3.5:

* I am a 6th lvl ranger with two-weapon combat style (I have the improved 2-weapon fighting feat now).

* I have weapon finesse

* My dex is 21 (+5)

* I fight with a masterwork longsword and a normal shortsword

What are my attack bonuses and how may attacks do I have (and why)?

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

A single attack with your Longsword goes at +7 (+STR-Mod!)
Your Ranger has 4 attacks on a full attack.

LS: +5/+0 + STR
SS: +9/+4

You can`t apply weapon finesse to your Longsword so that attacks for +5/+0 +STR-Modifier. (BAB=6 +1 mw Longsword -2 TWF). But you can apply weapon finesse to the short sword. That makes then: +9/+4 (BAB=6 + 5 Dex -2 TWF). Don't forget to add your Str-Mod to your LS attacks!

Kodam

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
Your BAB is +6/+1 for being 6th level Ranger

You attack with two weapons which incurs a -6 penalty to your primary attack and -10 penalty to your off-hand attack.

The TWF feat reduces those penalties to -4 on each.

Your off-hand weapon being light reduces that penalty further to a -2 on each.

The ITWF feat gives you an extra off-hand attack at a -5 penalty.

The WFn feat allows you to use your dex mod on light weapons.

Your primary weapon is a masterwork weapon giving a +1 bonus to attacks with that weapon.

So in total you have the following attack bonuses:

Primary attack: +5/0 (BAB + TWF* + MW )

Off-hand attack: +9/+4 (BAB + TWF* + DEX)

*Note that you always adds numbers even if those numbers are negative, ie a penalty.

Last edited:

isoChron

First Post
Rudar Dimble said:
Ok, here's something I don't fully understand from the PHB 3.5:

* I am a 6th lvl ranger with two-weapon combat style (I have the improved 2-weapon fighting feat now).

* I have weapon finesse

* My dex is 21 (+5)

* I fight with a masterwork longsword and a normal shortsword

What are my attack bonuses and how may attacks do I have (and why)?
You have a base attack bonus of +6/+1 that means you have two attacks with your main hand (Longsword).
For the number of off-hand attacks you have the feat improved two-weapon fighting which means you have two attacks with your off-hand.

The attacks are at
6(BAB)+x(STR)+1(MW)-2(TWF with light off-hand weapon) for the longsword (no weapon finesse with longsword)
and 6(BAB)+5(DEX)-2(TWF) for the sword sword.

If you have STR 14 you attack at +7/+2 (longsword) and +9/+4 (swordsword) while attacking with two weapons.

If you use only one weapon for attacks your attacks with that weapon will be at +2 (+9/+2 longsword OR +11/+6 shortsword).

You can get better attacks if you use two shortswords or a rapier in the main hand because of weapon finesse.

BYE

Rudar Dimble

First Post
I forgot to mention something (my fault): the longsword I am using is an ("unactivated") moonblade my elven ranger got from some woodelves. We have a (house)rule that moonblades are elven forged and therefore are considered light weapons (which deal normal longsword damage):

Does that mean that my attacks are now:
+10/+5 (moonblade)
+9/+2 (shortsword)
???

Last edited:

Darklone

Just a small mistake for the shortsword, but yes. You attack with both weapons at +6/+1 (BAB) and add the following mods: +5 (dex) + 1 (Masterworkb longsword, +0 for shortsword) -2 (TWF).

That yields +10/+5 with the longsword and +9/+4 with the shortsword.

Last edited:

Bauglir

First Post
Rudar Dimble said:
I forgot to mention something (my fault): the longsword I am using is an ("unactivated") moonblade my elven ranger got from some woodelves. We have a (house)rule that moonblades are elven forged and therefore are considered light weapons (which deal normal longsword damage):

Does that mean that my attacks are now:
+10/+5 (moonblade)
+9/+2 (shortsword)
???

Close. Iterative attacks are *always* 5 points behind

Moonblade = BAB + DEX + Masterwork - TWF
[+6/+1] + 5 + 1 - 2 = +10/+5

Shortsword = BAB + DEX -TWF
[+6/+1] + 5 - 2 = +9/+4

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex