D&D General How many books/authors of the original AD&D Bibliography have you read? Do you feel you see D&D differently than people who have not read any?

MGibster

Legend
That seems a bit throwing the shoggoth out with the reservoir water.

More seriously, I think that there should be space for enjoying his weird fiction while still explaining why it has issues.
Other than a general disclaimer, "Many of these books comtain situations/attitudes that are at odds with our modern notions of gender, race, etc., etc.," I'm not really sure a bibliography is the best place to make any attempt at explaining the issues. And quite frankly, I don't think a disclaimer is necessary. If you're old enough to go through the biblography looking for things to read then I think you're old enough to handle unpleasant text. That said, this isn't an academic work, so I don't have a dog in this race. If the creators of D&D don't think Lovecraft had any direct influence on their work, I don't care if they leave him out. If they think he had a direct influence on their work then I think they should leave him in.

Hussar

Legend
The thing about the book list though is that it is not, nor has it ever really been, a bibliography. It’s a list of inspirational works to get you into the genre.

Which means that leaving people like Lovecraft off the list is perfectly fine.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The thing about the book list though is that it is not, nor has it ever really been, a bibliography. It’s a list of inspirational works to get you into the genre.

Which means that leaving people like Lovecraft off the list is perfectly fine.
Well, there's the historical list, which is supposed to trace the influences of the first edition of the game, and then there's whatever personal list you make that influences your game. There's no reason you couldn't, say, add Mercedes Lackey on there and make talking animals a big part of your game and even a playable race a la Blue Rose.

It would be fun to go through the 5e version and see what pieces of the later versions of the game have come from which fantasy novels. Come to think of it, I think I'll start a thread for that!

Last edited:

I’ve only read Tolkien, H.P. Lovecraft, and maybe some Conan.

On my personal Appendix N:
Grahame, Kenneth. “The Wind in the Willows”
Heaney, Seamus translation “Beowulf“
Homer, “The Odyssey“
Peters, Ellis. Brother Cadfael mysteries, esp. “One Corpse Too Many”, “The Rose Rent”, “The Leper of St. Giles”, “St. Peter’s Fair“

Martin, George R. R. Martin, “Game of Thrones“

Shakespeare, William - “The Tempest”, “Henry V”,”Midsummer Night’s Dream“, “Romeo & Juliet”, “Richard III”, “Macbeth”, etc.

Twain, Mark - “Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court”

Lots of movies and series:
”Robin Hood” - Errol Flynn version
”13th Warrior“ - yes, I really like Beowulf
“The Black Shield of Falworth“ - so cheesy but I like it
”The Princess Bride”
”Conan the Barbarian”
”Cadfael“
”Silverado” - 2 of my players think it’s a D&D campaign and I see their point
”Game of Thrones” (first 5 seasons)
”Wheel of Time”
”The Witcher”