• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many character classes do you need, anyway?

How many character classes do you need?

• 2 - Fighting Man & Magic User

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 3 - Add Cleric

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 4 - Add Thief

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • 5 - Don't add Thief, but we need Dwarf and Elf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 - 4 man + Dwarf, Elf, Halfling

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 12 or more

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Effectively infinite

Votes: 10 29.4%

Celebrim

Legend
Well, in theory you don't need classes, but classless systems often have problems with balance.

I personally don't think the really interesting number is the minimum number of classes a system can have and still be a good system, but rather the maximum number it can support and still be considered a well designed system.

And personally I'd put that number at generously 'less than 20'.

At some point you end up having mechanical variation rather than actual thematic variation. Too much mechanical variation for its own sake tends to result in duplicated effort, unnecessary complexity, and unexpected interactions and one or more classes that do the same thing needs to be culled in favor of the superior mechanic. You need to start asking yourself, "Is it really necessary to have a separate mechanic to do this or can I reuse an existing mechanic to do the same thing?"

An example of this would be GURPS. GURPS may be generic, but its subsystems aren't balanced with each other. So it has a magic subsystem that's largely designed to be balanced with swinging a sword. It also has a psionic subsystem that's largely designed to be balanced with firing a gun. So, there are justifications for both subsystems, but there never really is a justification for using both. In theory, everything that one can do, the other can do, and the big difference is basically in how many points the options cost. If you throw psionics into S&S GURPS game, you get a guy that use his mind as an effective machine gun rather than use magic as an effective crossbow. If you throw your psion into a GURPS super's game, then a whole new set of assumptions have to be considered.

When D&D first introduced Psionics, the whole point of the system was that it differed from the usual magic systems in that it wasn't tied to level. A 1st level character could be a powerful psionic. That was different and novel and perhaps justified a separate subsystem. But in later editions, this effective and notable difference was lost, and as a result psionics ended up just being a second totally redundant magical system.

Also, if you have more than 20 classes, chances are is that the problem you have is that your classes are too narrow, too inflexible, and too poorly thought out. Chances are, if you have more than 20 classes, you could usefully combine two or more classes and rather than reducing flexibility and customization options you'd actually be gaining them.

Finally, if you are finding that you have more than 20 classes, chances are you'd get more of what you want by converting some or all of your classes to a flexible class creation system where the player can mix and match options to obtain the class or character he wants. The only reason to have a system with 20 or more classes is to kill more trees so you can sell more books to players.

Prestige classes in particular annoy me. They are horrid design. 95% of them are pointless, and the remainder aren't actually class options as they are ways to subtly change the assumptions of the game with regard to its balance. Virtually every prestige class that is ever actually taken ammounts to a base class with more bonus feats/level and a fixed or nearly fixed progression of abilities. This isn't more flexibility, it's less flexibility. If you really wanted a feat every two levels or every level, you should just do that from the start and stop mucking around with things. Under my rules, "you don't take a prestige class, you become one" (to quote one of my players). There is no reason why anyone should be shunted into anything as narrow as a prestige class.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I ticked (1) Fighting Man & Magic-User, though I didn't really mean that quite in the sense that they're meant in older editions. In principle, I'd like fewer or no base classes, with lots of customizability, along the lines of the the 3e UA generic classes: Warrior, Caster, and Expert.

Failing that, I'd just stick with my old standbys: dream ninja, quantum mechanic, courtesan, and ironman.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And just to be clear, even though I prefer HERO, I think class-based systems have their own strengths and appeal.

The broad selection of class options in 3.5 is one of my favorite things about it- it gives a lot of flexibility and variety to players on both sides of the screen. The suggestion I made upthread was a way to boil things down to essentials while still retaining that flexibility. I figured 4-6 generic base classes with a lot of flexibility built into them would do that.

Dingo333

First Post
As much fun as HERO is becomeing (required a lot of system mastery to get there btw) I think classes are a better way to go then "classless" systems

For one thing, it lets people shine more. When the guy with the big sword shaped stick can run up and "cast" a "fireball" spell just as well as the "mage" it loses some of the feel of being awesome at your specialization. The mage does not feel as good if the idiot with the sword blows up a building with a spell and the Macho fighter does not feel so macho when the scrawny mage slices a guy in 2.

That said, I like around 11 classes (dedicated fighter, holy sword, holy man, wild man, thief, mage, singer) to name a few

I think pathfinder has done the best job on this so far, they have the archtypes for the base classes (though they are over the 11 I classes)

Allegro

First Post
I voted 3 - for buffer, meat shield, and DPS & crowds for cleric, fighter, and magic user respectively.

I personally like a whole lot more but the question was phrased need...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads