• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many City Guard?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Oh, don't forget about location. Where the city is can also effect the number of guards. This could also be done with army troops but they are normally for patrol outside the city but always fun for conflicts. :)

You can also go with wards/districts with each one building their own police force that answers to the city guard. Another area of conflict but you get games like the Three Musketeers. This is great for larger cities.

Jenale

First Post
What I've read elsewhere suggests that a 1:150 guard:total pop. ratio is appropriate for the average medival-esque city. Of course, that doesn't mean they all have to be from the official city watch. (Also, don't forget, you probably want to cover 3 or 4 shifts/watches, so the actual number on duty at any given time would be considerably less.)

So based on that, a city of 14,000 should have 93-94 guardsmen (I'd probably go w/ 93, divide them into 3 watches, if it were my city.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads