How Many Classes Do We Really Need?

Grimmjow

First Post
The thing I want to see is multiple themes (which I think I read they were allowing more at later levels...can anyone confirm) to cover this off. I hold to the concept that with multiple themes the "idea" of the class can be preserved.

Can confirm it but from what it looks like and from what people have been saying maybe every 6 levels would be an good guess

My first character EVER in D&D ( at a ripe young age in 1e) was a bard. LOVED using charms and stuff. (Excuse the pun...it "enchanted" me).

Huh? Out of curiosity, how did that work? The 1e bard was D&D's first-ever prestige class - you needed to dual-class a fair number of levels of rogue and druid first.

Did you start the game at high level?

BobTheNob

First Post
Huh? Out of curiosity, how did that work? The 1e bard was D&D's first-ever prestige class - you needed to dual-class a fair number of levels of rogue and druid first.

I have no idea. Having no concept of what D&D is a friend handed me a character sheet and we played. Im just assuming it must have been 1e as it was SO long ago and Im pretty sure 2e wasnt out at that time.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

Close. In 1e, it was fighter (for minimum 5 or 7 levels I think) then rogue (for a certain minimum amount of levels -effectively making you fairly ranger-ish) then druid. When you began your first level of druid (got to use magic) you were, technically speaking, a first level Bard.

I don't believe it was accounted for in 1e, but since only humans and half-elves could be a bard, the half-elf could multi-class the fighter/thief until they could take up the druidism. Again, I don't think this was stipulated in the bard appendix...but I don't believe there was anything saying you couldn't do it that way, either. But it was one way I know we used back in the day to "speed things up", as it were (for the only bard character I can remember with that group/back then). I suppose allowing that was a house-rule decision.

I very much hope 5e moves the bard away from "rogue/arcane caster" and back to the mythic druidic associations of the archetype, with natural style magic (some illusions and charms make sense too, but not ALL arcane magic!). The "Bardic Spell List/table" should, imho, be primarily druid/nature-oriented spells, minor resistances and curatives, and some charms and illusions. Things like Remove Fear, Resist Elements, Cure Light, Obscurment or Fog Cloud, Charm Person and Sleep -obviously, would all be in my dream Bard spell list).

But, haha, this is completely unrelated to the topic at hand. So...carry on. :) </aside.>
--SD

Crazy Jerome

First Post
[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION], different ways to have classes realize a character seems to point right at the heart of the topic, to me. :D

Steely_Dan

First Post
Class : Fighter, Background : Barbarian, Themes : Noble, Lurker, Bezerker

So the rage mechanics specific to the Barbarian are moved into Bezerker, with Barbarian being more the cultural and interactive aspects. With Noble and Lurker adding there extra little bit of flavor.

! believe they have stated Noble being a Background (like Barbarian would be, cultural status and all).

Remove ads