• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many companies have revenue over 750k that use the OGL?

Oofta

Legend
I was curious. How many companies would actually have to pay royalties? Not whether they should or should not, but assuming for a moment that in 6 months companies have to start reporting revenue who does this affect? How much impact does it really have?

Oofta

Legend
Well the royalty thing has gone away, so that’s one thing.

It’s hard to say how many. There’s a lot of half-million Kickstarters, so probably all them. I reckon way more than the 20 WotC estimated.
I was just asking because I know the total TTRPG market isn't really all that huge to begin with.

Sacrosanct

Legend
For the record, my issue isn't so much the royalties on everything above $750K, it's that they can change that at any time to include anyone using the OGL if they want. Should we just trust HASBROn't on this that they won't change it?

I don't trust them.

Oofta

Legend
For the record, my issue isn't so much the royalties on everything above $750K, it's that they can change that at any time to include anyone using the OGL if they want. Should we just trust HASBROn't on this that they won't change it?

I don't trust them.

Apparently somewhere along the line I missed the royalties going away. I'm not going to bother arguing about the rest, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Apparently somewhere along the line I missed the royalties going away. I'm not going to bother arguing about the rest, there are plenty of other threads for that.
I mean, I think we just have WotC's word that they have cancelled the royalties thing, so I wouldn't bet the farm on there not being something that functions like royalties when all is said and done. But the specific $750k+ scheme is almost certainly dead.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, I think it was the principle of the thing that bothered everyone. A million dollar kickstarter would have to pay $50k - which sucks for the kickstarter, but not by "much" - and doesn't really add anything to WotC's coffers, for how much bad will it generates.

Remove ads