• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many DM's have actually run a published Adventure Path?

Abciximab

Explorer
Does The Temple of Elemental Evil count? In 2nd ed we ran Village of Hommlet TOE and on to Dragon Mountain (With a few linkers here and there).

Started Shackled City in December (Currently on chapter 4). Concensus from the group is that they're definitely enjoying it.

I actually think the concept of having an AP that takes a character from 1-20 was part of the appeal. All of our campaigns so far have ended around 8th-9th level. At that point DM needs time to come up with new ideas and we switch. ("Yeah, we'll get back to that campaign someday.")

Papa-DRB

First Post
I ran Shackled City from start to finish, using the hard cover book that had the extra 3rd (?) level adventure in it.

Just finishing up book 2 (of 6) in the Rise of the Runelords (RotRL) and intend to DM it all the way thru.

I tell my players that we are playing an "adventure path" or "campaign book/box set" at the get go, and what level they will be at the end. My guys like to plan...

They have come to understand that there will be minimal rail roading, because I don't have the time to either sandbox it or make up my own open ended adventures. This doesn't mean that we follow the AP exactly as written. For instance, we have spent 1 1/2 session (every 2 weeks for 5-6 hours) in Magnimar, and will spend much of the next one there, most of it roleplaying and finding out information. If you look at the book, it is 3 set location encounters which could be played in a couple of hours.

Druchii

Explorer
I prefer top make my own adventure path.

I take modules and adventures and change bits here and their to fit the story line and most importantly roll with the punches.
I ran a Dungeon adventure about ego weapons and the person who helped the party 7 levels ago is still helping them out, Larcos, City watch commander, the party (all but one are coppers (cops))
Coppers is the name for the copper badge you wear when you are in the city watch (stole it from a Warhammer novel).
The gnome thief rolled two ones against the ego weapon and left the party and I changed the next Dungeon magazine about drug dealers selling Green Welcome and replaced the Spriggan gang with a gnome one lead by the former player character.

My point is, I prefer to use all types of adventures and MAKE them become an Adventure path.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Way back in high school my friends and I played through the Dragonlance series of modules (I think we made it to DL 7 before the end of the school year - that was the life playing for 2 hours every day on our lunch & free period). I remember it being fun but terribly linear.

Last year I finished up the Age of Worms AP and vowed to never run 3E past level 10 again. By the end I was ready to quit DMing altogether.

Also up until Feb of this year I was playing in an infrequent 3E game for Shackled City. We were about 10th level in that and most of the fun had disappeared for me (but I still loved my character).

delericho

Legend
I ran "Shackled City" from start to finish a few years ago. (Note: the magazine version, which has one fewer chapter than the compiled hardback version.) It took eleven real-world months from start to finish, playing almost every week for 6ish hours a week.

We also tried "Savage Tide", but this one fell apart after just a few sessions, mostly due to real-world scheduling problems. (There was also an issue that ST seemed much more brutal than SC, at least right at the start.)

The first and most important piece of advice I would offer DMs wanting to run an Adventure Path is this: make the campaign your own. If you run the campaign strictly by-the-book, you're likely to find (as we did) that the characters tend to be more than a little one-dimensional. Since the campaign is basically mapped out, there's not really much scope for the PCs to follow their own agendas and investigations unless those happen to match up with the campaign as written. It's basically up the DM to fill this in - I recommend using the AP as the spine of your campaign, and bolstering it with additional encounters, side-treks and role-playing to fill it out and make the world and the PCs live.

The second thing I would recommend is: be flexible. Sure, "Rise of the Runelords" is a six-part campaign taking PCs from 1st to 15th level, and it would seem to be a real shame to throw out five of those parts when the players decide they instead want to dedicate their careers to hunting down crazy goblins, but... isn't it better to have a really great campaign doing that, then try to force people into a path they don't really want? (And, besides, those other five parts can still be used later; just file off the serial numbers.)

Thirdly, and contrary to some advice higher in the thread, I would recommend being honest and upfront about the fact that this is a pregenerated Adventure Path. Further, I would advise giving the players at least some heads-up of what to expect, so they can build characters that will be fun to play. A large part of "Age of Worms" is Rogue-unfriendly, while at least one chapter of "Second Darkness" is troublesome for Paladins... better to tell the players ahead of time, and let them make informed choices.

Fourthly, and this may be a purely personal thing, I would recommend only running an Adventure Path if your group can dedicate the time to get together quite regularly to play through it. One of the major reasons "Savage Tide" failed for us was that we had a break of about a month, during which any interest in the campaign died. Conversely, "Shackled City" worked really well, in part because we missed very few weeks. Unfortunately, while I would dearly love to run "Age of Worms" (in Dark Sun), "Curse of the Crimson Throne" and "Legacy of Fire", my group will almost certainly never play through any of these, because our real-world commitments just don't allow it any longer.

Fifthly, I would note that the Paizo Adventure Paths are really quite brutal. I would recommend ensuring you have at least six characters in play. Further, it might be a good idea to have each player run two characters, because otherwise they may spend quite a lot of time out of the game due to character death. YMMV, of course.

Oh, and finally: running a pre-generated Adventure Path can save an awful lot of prep time, especially at high level. However, it is certainly not a means to skip out of preparation altogether! Especially at high level, the DM really needs to spend a couple of hours each week thinking through encounters, tactics and powers for the bad guys. (Which is still an awful lot better than doing that and several more hours generating the stat-blocks and encounter locations from scratch.)

I hope some of that helps.

Qualidar

First Post
We're going into the home stretch of Shackled City (adventure 10 of 12) with one of my groups, and I think people have had a good time. This is only the second time I've dealt with characters this high level, and It really illustrates to me some of the issues that people have with high-level d20 play. It's still fun, but more of a grind. This definitely makes me lean toward the later era adventure paths as next steps, as they only go up to level 15 or so.

Two pieces of advice I would give:
1. Use the boards! My Shackled City adventure is much better for interweaving future NPC villains into the storyline early enough that the players got to know and loathe them before the inevitable end battle. There are great threads on Paizo's boards written by those that have already run the path with wonderful ideas on how to add connections.

2. Be careful adding auxiliary stuff. Knowing the reputation Shackled City had as a meat-grinder, I added action points to help the characters out, and I'm pretty much open to new rules material within reason, so I've allowed fairly free selection of spells from the Spell Compendium. These two things, plus the fact that I've got 6 characters in the group (now seven, plus a cohort), has pretty much allowed the group to steamroll over almost all encounters. Much of that is the fact that several of my players are very rules savvy, but much of that is power creep. Some lessons learned: as cool as the Spell Compendium is, it's probably too much. I won't be allowing it in my next campaign. Retaining use of a spell or maximizing a spell with an action point is too powerful. That might work in some games, but the rate of advancement (and therefore the replenishment of Action Points) is too quick in an adventure path. I do recommend action points in general, though: they needed them, and they're fun!

Next up is Legacy of Fire. Can't wait!

Qualidar

First Post
Oh, and finally: running a pre-generated Adventure Path can save an awful lot of prep time, especially at high level. However, it is certainly not a means to skip out of preparation altogether! Especially at high level, the DM really needs to spend a couple of hours each week thinking through encounters, tactics and powers for the bad guys. (Which is still an awful lot better than doing that and several more hours generating the stat-blocks and encounter locations from scratch.)

This is very true, and good advice.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I'm wondering how many DM's have actually run a published Adventure Path to the completion of the path, or used at least a majority of the path material (you've added your own stuff) but still ran the path to some form of a conclusion?

This. I ran Shackled City, Rise of the Runelords, and Curse of the Crimson Throne about 80% as written with my own tweaks to fit my players and characters.

-DM Jeff

Primal

First Post
I've run "Savage Tide" all the way through to the end. I played "Age of Worms" about halfway through (a true test of me keeping player knowledge and character knowledge separate!). For the Paizo adventure paths, I generally try to work in places where a GM can call it quits prematurely in the event he or his group gets tired and/or just wants to try a different campaign (although I usually don't call these quitting locations out in the text).

As much as I'd love to think that all of our AP customers play every AP through to the end, I know that's not the case. And honestly, if someone just reads an AP through to the end and then absorbs the ideas and elements into the part of his/her brain that collects and stores RPG material, I'd call that getting your money's worth out of an AP (or ANY RPG product).

Anyway, I'm obviously always curious to hear feedback about APs, be they Paizo ones or those of other publishers! (sits back and lurks on thread)

I'm about to start 'Legacy of Fire', and I'm going to run it "as written" in Katapesh (using the PF Beta rules). And considering that I've always hated "desert" adventures, it should tell you how much I like this one! :)

I've also played in a modified AoW campaign set in the Realms, and it has been really, really fun so far (we're 16th level ATM). Speaking of the subject, 'Whispering Cairn' is, in my opinion, probably the best D&D module ever published in Dungeon -- it's just that good.

I also have high expectations for 'Bastards of Eberus'... I only hope my players will survive more or less intact (sane) from the horrors of 'Carrion Hill' first (the creations of Mr. Pett's twisted mind may prove to be too much for their fragile psyches).

EDIT: A friend of mine is going to run 'CoCT' and 'Second Darkness' as modified versions set in Greyhawk -- I'll be playing in them, so I can't comment on the conversion (yet). It will be interesting to see what he's come up with, but he has said that they are very well written adventures that will fit nicely into the setting.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Adventurer
A friend of mine is going to run 'CoCT' and 'Second Darkness' as modified versions set in Greyhawk -- I'll be playing in them, so I can't comment on the conversion (yet). It will be interesting to see what he's come up with, but he has said that they are very well written adventures that will fit nicely into the setting.
As someone who's put his own "Second Darkness revamped for Greyhawk" campaign on hold, I'd really appreciate it if you and your friends found the time to occasionally post a story hour (either on these boards or at paizo.com). :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads