Votes: 7 6.9%

Votes: 22 21.6%

Votes: 28 27.5%

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • 7+

Votes: 26 25.5%

Pistonrager

First Post
It REALLY depends on relative luck.... I played thru one of the adventures, the one with cold undead.... and we finished it in one go 7-8 hours played. never had to stop to get healing surges back.

On the other side of that, we tried again the next week, and after 3 encounters had to pull out due to extreme bad luck. 2 people down. everyone else heavily wounded...

ThirdWizard

First Post
I didn't come near to using up all the PCs' resources in my playtest. I could easily see them going for 7+ encounters in a day. And, if we're going to how long until TPK, even longer. I didn't find a 500 XP (5 PCs in my game) encounter to be incredibly taxing using 1st level opponents.

A 825 XP encounter I ran did nearly TPK the party, however, when all was said and done, they still had plenty of healing surges because they could only use a certain number of them in one encounter. This meant that you can have really difficult encounters in 4e which can be recovered from and the action can keep moving onward. So, I could have more encounters per day than you would first think at first glance.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmmm... I voted 4 before I read the note about TPK on the 5th. I was thinking how many a party could pull off (if they are sensible and not unlucky) before they'd WANT to rest, not before they'd HAVE to rest.) And if the fights are perfectly balanced, they're much safer than most of the ones I've run. (Three usually, but they fight a solo worth at least 750.)

Probably 5 or 6.

Fitz

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I have found that once you get around 7th to 9th level, you cannot really push the characters very hard with a single encounter without a nearly unacceptable risk of a TPK.

It also depends on what your throwing at them and how quickly the players can kill them, as well as a number of other intangibles.

Here are some telltale signs that your monsters wont really cause your players any serious difficulty absent using unholy numbers of them.

- If the monsters only hit on 18 or higher, and only inflict damage on successful attack rolls BEFORE AC buffs
- If the players can drop them in one hit
- If your players can render them entirely ineffective

If any of the above are true, you could probably run 9 or more consecutive combats without making much of a dent. There are complicating factors to consider as well. Cannon fodder that can only eat 1 attack before dying may still be viable if they can hit often. But if they are melee based an you have players with Cleave or Reach + Combat reflexes, it wont matter.

Other than that, a good guideline may be 1 combat encounter per 3 or 4 character levels. This assumes that the encounter meets the following criteria.

- The opponents can inflict enough damage to be a threat to your front line combat guys
- The opponents can guarantee their own survival for at least 5 rounds of full on combat
- The opponents can function reasonably close to their optimal potential for most of the time they are alive.

For inflicting damage, it can be breathweapon / save for half based, or it can just be a good enough attack bonus to hit on about a 15 or greater when you have 4 or more opponents. For survival, I dont mean for every opponent to still be standing after 5 rounds, but the primary threat should still be alive (if it is a single BBEG supported by fodder) or you should still have a few monsters kicking around if its a small squad of semi durable monsters.

The last point is somewhat important. If your spell caster can routinely neutralize most of your badguys with 1 or two spells, you need to rethink how you stage combat. I recently had a fight with a dragon turn out to go much easier than expected simply because it failed a save vs Slow. Suddenly, I could no longer use flyby attack, or full attack. Being limited to a single attack made the dragon essentially a non threat. I tried to retreat, but ended up dying due to having to eat a few AoO followed by some hard hitting ranged spells.

I am new to running games for characters around 8th level and higher, and still figuring out what kinds of encounters work for my group. I have come to a few conclusions though for that level range.

1) No Solo monsters without support. Unless I want to go for something overwhelmingly beyond the players means, it just never works. The players can put out too much damage on a single target.

2) No 1 Hit Fodder. The fighters take them down too easily with just iterative attacks. On top of that, the players have a whole lot of area of effect spells. Its one thing if they only have 1 or two fireballs to play with, since players tend to hold back on their top guns. But if they can toss out 5 or 6 of them, they will cut loose.

3) Mix it up. While you can throw together an encounter with nothing but 2 or 3 brutes that have good attack bonus and good damage output, you run the risk of being neutralized too easily. You should have at least 2 ways to cause harm to the players. Half melee and Half archery will do. Half direct damage and half 'debuff' / battlefield control is also good.

4) Include reasonable workarounds for player defences. Try to include at least one counter to a trick your players like to use. If they go for invisibility, than have a reasonable, and plausible counter measure handy, such as a monster with Scent, or a Dispel Magic. Do not include a counter for every trick, and do not always counter the same trick. But have at least one or two counter tactics available. Failure to do this will result in your players winning every fight using the same tactic.

END COMMUNICATION

Harshax

First Post
Lord Zardoz said:
3) Mix it up. While you can throw together an encounter with nothing but 2 or 3 brutes that have good attack bonus and good damage output, you run the risk of being neutralized too easily. You should have at least 2 ways to cause harm to the players. Half melee and Half archery will do. Half direct damage and half 'debuff' / battlefield control is also good.

4) Include reasonable workarounds for player defences. Try to include at least one counter to a trick your players like to use. If they go for invisibility, than have a reasonable, and plausible counter measure handy, such as a monster with Scent, or a Dispel Magic. Do not include a counter for every trick, and do not always counter the same trick. But have at least one or two counter tactics available. Failure to do this will result in your players winning every fight using the same tactic.

I assume you were a playtester. These two points are very good information for creating exciting encounters. Thanks for posting.

Herodotus

First Post
malraux said:
Are all those encounters "on level", or do some exceed the XP budget for a single encounter?
I was running the encounters for a party of 6 PCs, so the target is 600 xp per fight. Here are the numbers for the 8 encounters we ran: 600, 600, 600, 650, 600, 525, 700, 600. Now I should note that the 525 fight was actually one of the hardest since the party was ambushed by some lurkers, and the 700 fight was actually one of the easiest since the PCs ambushed their foes (and opened with Acid Arrow during the surprise round). The last fight was against the Grell, a level 7 elite which almost killed a few party members. They wouldn't have made it if they hadn't been very stingy with their daily abilities.

Remove ads