• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many folks are still playing/running 3e?

Nebten

First Post
I'm also using the Night Below boxed set from 2nd edition, adapting that on the fly to 3.5.

Good luck with that. I did it when 3.0 first came out. After 2 years, they got into the final city but after exploring some of the buildings and a near TPK things fell apart. To this day I can't run a nearly all underdark campaign.

Running a 3.x game right now. Player usable material is subject to DM approval first. Material from several WotC sources are in use: SRD + Unapproachable East (FR Supplement) + Complete Mage (elements applicable for Warmage only), Spell Compendium (on a per spell basis), Pathfinder (select rules designed to speed up play), BOEM 1/2 (select rules) + Magic Item Compendium + House Rules. Happens 1/month to 1/2 months. DM material comes from wherever.

Also playing in a 3.x game. Player usable material is subject to DM approval first. Currently SRD + Spell Compendium (on a per spell basis), Pathfinder (select rules designed to speed up play) + Magic Item Compendium + House Rules. In the past, we have used material from Unearthed Arcana, Iron Heroes, possibly other sources. Happens 1/month to 1/2 months.

Also running a 4e game. Player usable material is subject to DM approval first. Currently in use is PHB + Advanced Player's Guide (Savage Warrior). DM material comes from wherever. Happens Biweekly most of the time.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder game. In a couple months when I get back to DMing, I may incorporate a couple Pathfinder elements into it, but I will be using a modified 3.5e. I use a wide variety of supplements: generally drawing on any source that seems interesting and fits the campaign, or simply something that will add something cool to the game.

Frost

First Post
Yep. I DM one 3.5 campaign and play in another. We play every other week, switching campaign every other session.

Here are the materials we're using:

In the campaign I DM:
Player and DM Sources
* Core Books
* The Hypertext d20 SRD
* Player's Handbook II
* Various "Complete..." books per DM approval
* Relics & Rituals I & II (with limitations) (Sword & Sorcery/White Wolf)
* Spell Compendium
* Eldritch Sorcery (Necromancer Games)
* Magic Item Compendium
* Arms & Equipment Guide
* Ultimate Equipment Guide (Mongoose)
* Rappan Athuk Reloaded (Necromancer Games)
* Bard's Gate (Necromancer Games)
* Monster Geographica (Expeditious Retreat Press) and pretty much any monster book I can get my hands on (e.g., Tome of Horrors 1 & 2, Creature Collections 1-3, Monster Manuals 2-4, etc.)

In the campaign in which I play:
(Fairly similar to the ones above plus)
* Complete Adventurer
* Player's Guide to the Wilderlands (Necromancer Games)
* Wilderlands of High Fantasy (Necromancer Games)

Khairn

First Post
I've got 15 players who play in my games and another 18 players that play in games run by a close friend of mine. Up until last weekend I was still GM'ing both a 3.5 / Pathfinder game and a separate 3.5 / Arcana Evolved game. I am also working on a 3.5 / Pathfinder Ptolus game with most of Monte Cook's Experimental Might added into the mix. Of the 4 other games that my friends play, 1 is Changeling and the rest are 3.5 or Pathfinder variants. All of the 3.5 games allow the Complete books and Monte's numerous variants.

The only 4E game I am aware of hasn't had a session in close to 3 months, and there isn't much buzz for trying it again.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I want know how many of you are still playing in 3e games (on either side of the DM screen). More importantly, I want to know what source materials are being used in those games.

For example my groups for 3e are as follows:

group 1: 3e Dungeonaday.com using SRD+ "complete books" + BOEM I&II 1/week

group 2: 3.5e rise of the runelords game using SRD+ 1 additional book per character (I let them all choose an additional book aside from the players handbook, another at level 8) 2/month

I am mainly curious because despite the activities on this web site and others I read, I am seeing some local scenes that are quite different than the "community" I am seeing on the interwebs. I am also interested in broadening my horizons in the arena of 3.x source material from 3pp (I own as much of the 1pp source I want). So I also intend to use these thread as kind of a laundry list of things to check out.

So if you are playing 3e, tell me how often, as a player or a DM, and what source materials you are using, and any other information that is pertinent to your game please.

Note: I am not interested in why you are playing 3e or why you are not (or any in depth discussion of the edition, be they praises or criticisms), just whether or not you are, and how you are doing it. Please do not include commentary about 4e or any other system (be they praises or criticisms) in my thread. Please do not post in my thread just to trash 3e and say you are not playing it.

love,

malkav

edit:grammar and spelling

I'm up to Pathfinder now, but I use all the WotC core stuff and I have a lot of books from Green Ronin (the master class stuff is cool). The book of Eldritch Might is a good addition to my campaign, Relics and Rituals I and II from Sword and Sorcery Studios, oodles of monster books from Necro Games, Privateer Press and Sword and Sorcery which I use more heavily than the Monster Manuals simply because my players have them all and I like to keep them surprised now and then.

The group that I've been playing in for the last 6 months decided to give 4e a shot for the last 4 months. The consensus is that we're going to back to 3.5e (mid-campaign, actually).

I'm pretty optimistic about Pathfinder, but I'm not sure if I can convince this particular group to give it a try.

I'll probably be DM'ing a new PF campaign (I'm thinking Rise of the Runelords) after I get a print copy of the final rules in hand. Not sure who'll be the players yet.

I'm starting as a player in a low magic GURPS Fantasy game this month. I've never played GURPS, so I'm curious to see how it goes.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I am running a 3.5e game (~ one 6-hr session/week).

Source materials include most WotC 3.5 (but not ToB), including a number of UA variants and some I snagged from the PF SRD (such as CMB & sorcerer bloodlines). Even beyond these sources I have houseruled significantly, streamlining the magic system so you can figure out how many spells you have without a book and fleshing out vp/wp system to my liking and adding a few new elements.

On the side we also have CoC d20 sometimes, and we've done d20 Modern and the BSG rpg within the past year.

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm currently running two 3.75 games (my own version of rules - much closer to 3.x than 4E, though) for a total of 9 players. None of the D&D players I know have converted to 4E.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads