How many gallons in a barrel and how much does it weigh?

Kevin Sullivan

First Post
Really? You join a forum to resurrect a 14 year old thread to take an attack against an entire group of people based on nothing...

I've held this opinion about game designers for a couple of decades now. Very few games even try to get anything right and the designers of games like D&D have never succeeded. The internet only means game designers are even more stupid because in a few minutes, even 14 years ago, you could do enough research on most subjects to not sound like a moron. Hell, you can get statistics from the late 90s on everything from agricultural production in Africa. But don't let that get in your way of the worst Roll Play game in history worship.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I've held this opinion about game designers for a couple of decades now. Very few games even try to get anything right and the designers of games like D&D have never succeeded. The internet only means game designers are even more stupid because in a few minutes, even 14 years ago, you could do enough research on most subjects to not sound like a moron. Hell, you can get statistics from the late 90s on everything from agricultural production in Africa. But don't let that get in your way of the worst Roll Play game in history worship.

First off anybody that holds an opinion that an entire group of people are all "morons" has issues, that's simply a irrational position. Secondly you seem to know very little about game design if you think "trying to get anything right" in a ttrpg correlates with it's implementation of real world weights and measures. Last, you haven't even shown that ttrpg designers got it "wrong" in any way.

As to worshiping the "worst roll play game in history" I'm guessing that's simply a sad attempt at trolling, this thread doesn't even mention a specific game.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A "barrel" of oil is 55 gallons. It weighs more than one person can lift.* (I suppose STR 18+ guys can try ... )
Maybe use 500 lbs. until somebody can get back with more accurate data. It stands about chest high on a Human and is as far across as your shoulders are broad.

* Especially if that person is me. I can't even scoot one across the floor or slip a hand-jack underneath one. If I tried to roll one, I don't know how I would turn a corner, much less stop it when I got where I was going.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The internet only means game designers are even more stupid because in a few minutes, even 14 years ago, you could do enough research on most subjects to not sound like a moron. Hell, you can get statistics from the late 90s on everything from agricultural production in Africa. But don't let that get in your way of the worst Roll Play game in history worship.
You are probably on the wrong website, if that is how you really think.
What DO you like to do in your spare time? Google that and follow the links.

aramis erak

Legend
A "barrel" of oil is 55 gallons. It weighs more than one person can lift.* (I suppose STR 18+ guys can try ... )
Maybe use 500 lbs. until somebody can get back with more accurate data. It stands about chest high on a Human and is as far across as your shoulders are broad.

* Especially if that person is me. I can't even scoot one across the floor or slip a hand-jack underneath one. If I tried to roll one, I don't know how I would turn a corner, much less stop it when I got where I was going.

Nope. 42 US gallons. The standard shipping drum is 55-gal, yes, but that's not the barrel used in the oil industry.

In Russia, the barrel is 3/22 of a metric ton. (That is, 7 1/3 bbl = 1 tonne)

The SG ranges from 0.77 to 0.95

https://www.ihrdc.com/els/po-demo/module01/mod_001_03.htm

Wikipedia notes the 42 gal is 35 Imperial Gallons.

35 Imp Gallons of water would be 350 lbs, and crude would be 270 to 332 lbs. A not atyppical 42 gal shipping drum masses 26 lbs empty.

I know a lot of guys who can carry one for short distances filled with avgas. I, myself, have moved them by tilt-n-spin...

Remove ads