• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many halflings does it take to screw in a lightbulb

DireWereTeddy

First Post
I'm just going to toss this out there, because it's something that's always bothered me. Halfling size. Everything I've ever seen has them at around three feet in height. That's smaller than my 6 year old daughter, just for some perspective. I think that's always the hardest thing to find when dealing with creature sizes in D&D, really appreciating exactly how big or small things are.

I'm not saying a halfling is uncapable of going toe-to-toe in a stand up fight with a human soldier, but mechanics not withstanding, I have a hard time imagining halfling soldiers being able to successfully fight a war in the same manner that larger races do. I also think it explains why halflings find it difficult to be taken seriously by humans and elves.

Great responses. I think a kot of this boils own to exactly how one visualizes halflings. To me if you go by the standard D&D weights and heights they have a big disadvantage. Bt i dont think they are as helpless as children of the same size, because children havent devloped yet and dont have the kind of muscle mass adults have, so a halfling, though the size of a child is developed and ought to have muscle proportion to their size.

still I think this would be an issue for them. I tend to picture halflings being slightly bigger than the ranges given in D&D books. Some of the recent wotc halfling art for Next gets closer to how I imagine them (havent seen all of it so maybe i misunderstood the scale of those images). Even then though while I can picture halflings forming a succesful civilization (in the setting I am develoing they have a coastal trade empire not unlike carthage) I do believe explanations need to be offered for why they can do something like invade a human city (something they might not do a lot but would pribably be neccesary on occassion if they want to maintain or expand their empire).

my thoughts so far are:

1) they rely heavily on ranged attacks and large siege weapons
2) they have technological advantages whoch give them an edge (particularly on sea travel)
3) they use diplomacy, wealth and espionage and only resort to war when it becomes neccesary
4) they make good use of dwarven auxiliary troops
5) not an ace at infantry formations but I would imagine halflings have two men fighting as a unit within each formation if that is posible (i.e. two halflings wielding one pike so they increase their mass).
6) more exotic options are also on the table like bird mounts (that would be wuite an advantage if other races havent mastered it

DireWereTeddy

First Post
I wasn't trying to say that halflings were exactly comparable to human children. I agree that they're likely stronger than a child (though even children can be quite strong, stronger than most people may realize).

Even without resorting to more exotic or unusual options, there are plenty of ways that a halfling army could be an effective force. Guerrilla and skirmish warfare is certainly one. Even something as simple as a predominance light cavalry could give them enough of an advantage in a pitched battle.

Naval warfare would also play to their strengths. A well crewed ship could, theoretically, avoid closing and only engage at range, but even should two ships close to boarding actions, a halfling ship of comparable size to a human ship would simply be able to carry more halflings. Close to twice as many, if you're using the standard size.

Also, halflings are going to be underestimated. They're the size of human children, so humans will underestimate them. That gives them yet another advantage.

Stormonu

Legend
How much does halfling size count in war?

At least half.

If halflings were to gather for war, my guess is that it would involve a lot of ranged weapons and spears. Against larger foes, I could imagine a lot of guerrilla/skirmish tactics. Halflings on dogs armed with bows or spears/lances; fighting at the edge of woods or thickets that the soldiers could vanish into. But I could also see "squares" of halflings holding against enemy troops, being just as brave and determined as their larger foes.

Fiddleback

First Post
I have to say that I think it is vitally important to remember that if you are one of the Big Folk fighting halflings, there are a number of things that are going to be going on at GROIN level that don't usually. And if, as is usual with most systems, the halfling is getting some DEX bonuses, you are going to have a hard time making it stop.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
If you just want to know according to the rules, then that's easy enough to check. If you want to know according to fantasy precedents as Morrus discussed, then it's whatever you make up. The only meaningful way I can think of to discuss this is in terms of trying to make real-life analogues.

So, half height implies one-eighth weight, which in turn implies one-eighth strength, since strength is proportional to muscle mass. That's a huge disadvantage.

Half height implies half reach with weapons, probably as big of a disadvantage as strength.

On the plus side, you can fit twice as many halflings along a fighting line as humans. This would be a really big advantage if it wasn't outweighed by strength and reach.

My rough guess is that in a stand-up fight you'd need about three times as many halflings as humans to make it even. I'd probably put them in teams: two sword and board types to try to hold off any rushes taking advantage of human's superior mass and strength, and one long-spear guy standing behind them to attack.

I think that halflings would be much more effective in hit and run attacks from cover. Their smaller size makes it easier to find cover and easier to hide, and in LOTR at least, they're supposed to be good with missile weapons. If they can avoid closing with humans, I'd say unit strength would be one to one. (The humans' equalizing factor in this case would be their greater strength, giving greater range and missile impact)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
First you have to look at the abilites of Halflings (see SBLOCK) but the most important is:
  • Combat - Halflings prefer to fight defensively, usually hiding and launching ranged attacks as the foe approaches. Their tactics are very much like those of elves but place more emphasis on cover and concealment and less on mobility.

To me that means, up to 75% cover at any given time, plus as favor class of Rogue, lots of back attacks.

These guys are snipers of the D&D world, they don't screw in lightbulds, they shoot them out!

[sblock]

Halfling Traits (Ex)
Halflings possess the following racial traits.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A halfling’s base land speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear. This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.
[/sblock]

Note sure if I agree with weapon focus of longsword but does balance ranged and melee.

Note: normally play WFRP.v2 and use them as a mafia.

Last edited:

SethDrebitko

First Post
Assuming an average human sized ceiling 15 to make a halfling pyramid that would reach tall enough: why do anything if it can't involve at least a dozen of your friends in a feet of acrobatics.

As to war you'll have to account a change in tactics. For example: I fenced for some time and competing against children sucked. They are short easily underneath your most effective slashing and piercing angles, now imagine if they were as competent as a trained adult. Most armor has openings at the bottom the torso. They could probably also easily injure the groan and knee areas.

On top of that in prolonged conflicts of attrition they probably consume less resources as a whole.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Halflings would probably never allow humans to meet them on a battlefield. They would wear out their opponents with deceit and asymmetrical warfare.

I imagine halfling rogues sneaking into a camp at night to poison rations and sabotage wagons and equipment. Archers would set up ambushes from cliffs and trees, decoys could lure scouting parties towards traps or dangerous monsters. Their gregarious natures would make communication and intelligence flow quickly. Human armies would find villages abandoned before their arrival, with nothing left worth looting or foraging.

Any wars against halflings would be futile and costly. On the other hand, halflings could not easily take a human castle without serious help. Maybe that's one of the reasons the two races get along so well!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads