How many hit points do you have?

In your D&D game, how much does a character know about his own hit points (his total, how much d

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1E 1st level characters weren't as behind the curve as their 3E and 4E counterparts.
I really hope this is the case in 5e as well, that the difference between 1st and 5th and 10th level is much less than 3e-4e. In which case...
I may adopt a strategy something like this for 5E. I like the idea of adventurers being incredibly rare; the only way to get to high levels is by being associated with the PC's. If bounded accuracy works the way WotC claims, then starting new characters at level 1 won't be quite as punishing.
...this would work; though I still like the idea of there being quite a few adventuring groups out there of which the PCs are but one - or two, or several, depending on the campaign.

Never mind that some of the most bizarre combats can come from putting two adventuring parties up against each other. :)

Lanefan

Celebrim

Legend
In my 1E game, all new players/characters started at level 1. If you had a henchman, could use that henchman as your new character if your old one died (a frequent occurrence). For this reason, most of my players had a "favored" henchman that was always in the dungeon with them, collecting XP and gold. The system actually worked really well. 1E 1st level characters weren't as behind the curve as their 3E and 4E counterparts.

I'm not sure that is true, but 1e characters had two real advantages over their 3e counterpart.

First, since XP was exponential rather than linear, if your lower level character teamed up with higher level characters, the sort of XP they'd earn per session would very quickly power level you (if you ignored training time, which most people did). Characters could very quickly catch up. By the time the highest level character in the party leveled, you'd just be a level or so behind.

Second, in 1e AC was king. Since almost nothing had an attack bonus, an AC of 0 (AC 20 in 3e terms) or better rendered you largely immune to monsters until very high level. In 3e terms, the most dangerous monsters in the game only had a +13 attack bonus.

It's wasn't so much that 1st level fighters were relatively more potent compared to 10th level fighters, it was that the monsters were far weaker. In 3e, a 15th level character is still basically dog chow relative to what's in the monster manuals. The same character in 1e is a low level demigod.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm not sure that is true, but 1e characters had two real advantages over their 3e counterpart.

First, since XP was exponential rather than linear, if your lower level character teamed up with higher level characters, the sort of XP they'd earn per session would very quickly power level you (if you ignored training time, which most people did).
IME training was almost universally used. Different communities, I guess.
Characters could very quickly catch up. By the time the highest level character in the party leveled, you'd just be a level or so behind.
True in terms of strict level numbers, but the veteran characters would still have more - or much more - wealth, unless they were unusually generous.

Second, in 1e AC was king. Since almost nothing had an attack bonus, an AC of 0 (AC 20 in 3e terms) or better rendered you largely immune to monsters until very high level. In 3e terms, the most dangerous monsters in the game only had a +13 attack bonus.
True, though traps (much more prevalent in 1e) and magic could still ruin your day pretty quick.

It's wasn't so much that 1st level fighters were relatively more potent compared to 10th level fighters, it was that the monsters were far weaker. In 3e, a 15th level character is still basically dog chow relative to what's in the monster manuals. The same character in 1e is a low level demigod.
That's almost an apples-and-oranges comparison, as not that many 1e games ever got to 15th level (the system kind of petered out around 10th-12th). 3e was designed to go to 20, and a 15th-level 3e type is, relative to the system, about the same as about an 8th or 9th level in 1e. But you're right about the monsters, for the most part, at least by RAW.

That said, you're speaking to a tangential point to what's in play here: the difference between 1st and 10th levels in 1e vs. the same difference in 3e-4e. 1st-level in both 1e and 3e is reasonably close to the same thing, but the scaling curve in 1e is simply not as steep, and if anything you have it backward: in 1e a 10th-level fighter was relatively weaker in comparison to a 1st-level than she would be in 3e; and as that's about as high as the game usually went the overall top-to-bottom power window (for lack of a better term) was much narrower. I don't mind this.

Lanefan

Celebrim

Legend
IME training was almost universally used. Different communities, I guess.

I guess so, though honestly, I'm surprised to hear this. The fact that different classes leveled at different rates pretty much assured that at the point one character needed training, the others would not. This would have necessitated retiring a character for several weeks from the campaign. Weeks of game time is an eternity of real time. In my experience, each session averages about a day of game time. Putting a character in down time any time most other characters are not in down time is for many campaigns the same as retiring the character. Everyone has to be willing to retire their characters to down time at the same time. And as a practical matter, this means that the variable length training doesn't really mean anything for small groups.

The training imposed also huge burdens on the style of game you could play. Training makes sense as a rule only if you have a large cast of rotating adventurers, and possibly a large cast of rotating players, and large dungeon containing mostly passive and reactive foes nearby to a large metropolitan area. In other words, much of the 1e AD&D DMG and the rules and advice therein can only be understood in the light of Gygax's original Greyhawk campaign, and as house rules evolved to handle the particulars of that situation. If that is your situation, Gygax will seem sageous and prescient - because this is the distilled wisdom of actual play experience. Removed from that situation, Gygax's advice is a lot less applicable.

If you are playing a wilderness game, you pretty much have to assume no leveling the whole time the party is in the wilderness because there is no one around to provide training.

If you are playing a story based game, the plot must routinely stall to give players time to train.

If you have active or proactive foes, they must routinely cease their machinations in order to give the PCs time to become stronger in peace.

Even Gygax's own modules show that outside of the Greyhawk campaign structure, training was generally waived and not expected. The GDQ series gives no real expectation of time off for training, and is designed such that the characters need to level up as they progress and will receive the XP to do so. If XP is being lost through lack of training, the early 'adventure path' just doesn't work.

That's almost an apples-and-oranges comparison, as not that many 1e games ever got to 15th level (the system kind of petered out around 10th-12th). 3e was designed to go to 20...

Whether it was intended or not, I never perceived 3e as demanding 20th level be reached. Rather, I believe that 3e provides structure for the game to continue up to 20th level should it go there based on the experience many 1e DM's had that after 10th-12th level, they were pretty much on their own regarding providing reasonable challenges to players. But I never perceived the fact that 3e could go to 20th level as being a requirement that it could go to 20th level, any more than I perceived the fact that the XP tables for classes in 1e reaching 18th-24th level meant that it was an expectation that games would obtain those levels.

, and a 15th-level 3e type is, relative to the system, about the same as about an 8th or 9th level in 1e. But you're right about the monsters, for the most part, at least by RAW.

That said, you're speaking to a tangential point to what's in play here: the difference between 1st and 10th levels in 1e vs. the same difference in 3e-4e. 1st-level in both 1e and 3e is reasonably close to the same thing, but the scaling curve in 1e is simply not as steep

I disagree. First, 1st level in 1e vs. 1st level in 3e is not nearly the same thing. In 1e, the first two levels where generally deemed to lie outside the games 'sweet spot' (usually sited as levels 3-8). This was because 1e 1st level characters were generally pretty pathetic, and baring cheating or lucky rolls, where typically inferior to say hobgoblins. This is especially true prior to the weapon specialization rules and cavaliers appearing to turn low level fighter types in to weapons of mass destruction. In 3e 1st level characters were consciously front loaded with more spells, more abilities, good ability scores by default, and maximum hit points in order to ensure that they could do more than 'kill rats in the basement'. The 3e 1st level characters are further up on the curve. However, the scaling curve in 1e is even steeper than 3e. While the 1e 1st level fighter is challenged by a single hobgoblin, his 10th level counterpart can probably take on 200 solo, and is facing things like old dragons, frost giants, and balrogs - things that for the most part have been moved further up the slope in 3e. In 1e, leveling up starts out fast and then slows. The exponential table means you'll catch up - your whole career from 1st-9th is the same as your companions grind from 11th-12th. In 3e, the linear advancement table and the constant rate of advancement across all levels means you're always stuck well behind.

and if anything you have it backward: in 1e a 10th-level fighter was relatively weaker in comparison to a 1st-level than she would be in 3e;

I don't see that at all except perhaps in the case of a fighter with greater than 18/50 strength (because of the huge outscaling that starts happening at that point 18/00ish strength is game breaking). By your own assessment, 1e 10th = 3e 15th. The low level 3e fighter has far more positive modifiers, with ability bonuses starting at 12 and the ability to acquire feats - its relatively easy for a 3e fighter to have a +6 to hit bonus and be doing 2d6+6 damage - which is far beyond the average 1e fighter absolutely and relatively. And the fighter will likely still have 'room' for bonuses to AC and hit points. The 1e 1st level character has nothing go for it and will behind the 3e power curve until crossing it (in a relative sense only) sometime in the mid-levels and then taking off. The UA somewhat evens it up in the case of some classes - 3e tends to balance with the UA classes more than the original ones - but low level rogues, clerics, and wizards are still much weaker than their 3e counter parts both relatively and absolutely.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I guess so, though honestly, I'm surprised to hear this. The fact that different classes leveled at different rates pretty much assured that at the point one character needed training, the others would not. This would have necessitated retiring a character for several weeks from the campaign.
Easy thing to fix in one regard: allow characters to continue gaining (some) xp after they have actually bumped but before they train. Gygax's RAW are needlessly harsh on this one.
Weeks of game time is an eternity of real time. In my experience, each session averages about a day of game time.
IME it varies wildly. One session might get through an hour or less of heavy combat while the next might go through weeks of travel and info gathering.
Putting a character in down time any time most other characters are not in down time is for many campaigns the same as retiring the character.
Which also happens all the time... :)

Keep in mind that we use a very slow advancement (which also seems to have been common back in the day), most times a character is only going to bump about every other adventure; and between adventures they almost always take a few weeks in town anyway to divide their treasury and take a breather.
The training imposed also huge burdens on the style of game you could play. Training makes sense as a rule only if you have a large cast of rotating adventurers, and possibly a large cast of rotating players, and large dungeon containing mostly passive and reactive foes nearby to a large metropolitan area. In other words, much of the 1e AD&D DMG and the rules and advice therein can only be understood in the light of Gygax's original Greyhawk campaign, and as house rules evolved to handle the particulars of that situation. If that is your situation, Gygax will seem sageous and prescient - because this is the distilled wisdom of actual play experience. Removed from that situation, Gygax's advice is a lot less applicable.

If you are playing a wilderness game, you pretty much have to assume no leveling the whole time the party is in the wilderness because there is no one around to provide training.
Or, every now and then the party needs to come in out of the wilderness and do some training (not to mention resupply, divide loot, etc.).

If you are playing a story based game, the plot must routinely stall to give players time to train.
Much easier is to simply pace the plot with training (and travel, and recruitment or revival) breaks in mind - the party isn't usually adventuring every day of the month.

If you have active or proactive foes, they must routinely cease their machinations in order to give the PCs time to become stronger in peace.
Not so much cease their machinations as run them at a slower pace - BBEG's need time to get things odne too.

Even Gygax's own modules show that outside of the Greyhawk campaign structure, training was generally waived and not expected. The GDQ series gives no real expectation of time off for training, and is designed such that the characters need to level up as they progress and will receive the XP to do so. If XP is being lost through lack of training, the early 'adventure path' just doesn't work.
Another thing to keep in mind is that by the time characters got to the sort of level that GDQ expects they could largely self-train, I think; though not in the field. The only place this becomes a real headache (and I've run the whole series, in the past) is in Q1 when the party is off-plane for so long with no way back...I admit I did have to tweak training for that one.

I disagree. First, 1st level in 1e vs. 1st level in 3e is not nearly the same thing. In 1e, the first two levels where generally deemed to lie outside the games 'sweet spot' (usually sited as levels 3-8). This was because 1e 1st level characters were generally pretty pathetic, and baring cheating or lucky rolls, where typically inferior to say hobgoblins. This is especially true prior to the weapon specialization rules and cavaliers appearing to turn low level fighter types in to weapons of mass destruction. In 3e 1st level characters were consciously front loaded with more spells, more abilities, good ability scores by default, and maximum hit points in order to ensure that they could do more than 'kill rats in the basement'. The 3e 1st level characters are further up on the curve. However, the scaling curve in 1e is even steeper than 3e. While the 1e 1st level fighter is challenged by a single hobgoblin, his 10th level counterpart can probably take on 200 solo, and is facing things like old dragons, frost giants, and balrogs - things that for the most part have been moved further up the slope in 3e. In 1e, leveling up starts out fast and then slows. The exponential table means you'll catch up - your whole career from 1st-9th is the same as your companions grind from 11th-12th. In 3e, the linear advancement table and the constant rate of advancement across all levels means you're always stuck well behind.
Though in 3e RAW lower-level characters got more xp than higher-level types for the same encounter, so they did catch up to a point.

But 1st level in 3e isn't the sweet spot either - that seems to be about 4th-12th; where it's about 3rd-9th in 1e. Also, 1e is designed differently - by high level you're a badass that's supposed to be able to smoke most of what you meet in the game world, where in 3e (and, I gather, 4e) it's possible to feel a bit like a hamster on a wheel - sure your level number gets higher, but you never seem to get much better relative to the parts of the game world that you encounter.

Lan-"which in truth is one reason why 1e breaks down around 10th level, but 3e overcooked the fix"-efan

Remove ads