• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many Hit points does a sacred cow have?

enigma5915

Explorer
The issue with hit points…:D
(For the record, I love D&D. It was my introduction to RPG’s and the only game I have regularly played in the last 30 years.) :rant:

Yes, I’m aware this subject is rather popular and that may be sign that this is more of an issue than some think. Hit points have been abstract through the editions and represented stew pot of possible variables. The list of things hit points has represented is curious… physical damage, luck, endurance, skill, morale, and maybe more. It’s a rather lazy and confusing amalgamation of excrement. What’s more curious is how the various editions have explained recovering H.P’s. Most had all recovery in the form of healing physical injuries. This included healing potions, spells, bed rest, and tradition healing with a skill. It’s interesting how these forms of recovery fix morale issues, not to mention luck or the rest… :-S Now 4th edition did attempt to acknowledge this and account for it, although strangely. In 4th your H.P’s can be recovered by healing (cleric), inspiration (warlord), rousing morale (bard), and so on… Now this system of explanation is rather ridicules and just plain insults my intelligence, reasoning, and better judgment. In an attempt to hold on to this absurd abstract system the game is made even more unbelievable. (My believability position is below, after H.P’s :hmm:)

Here is a scenario to illustrate the inherent flaws… Character X is not in combat and is attacked by an unknown aggressor, who succeeded in scoring a critical hit upon character X with a ranged attack from a long bow. Character X is critically wounded from the attack and has only 1% of his or her hit points remaining. The aggressor immediately flees after the attack. Combat therefore dose not continue, it’s over and character X is rather humped. The question is what kind of damage did character X sustain? Was it luck damage, morale damage, endurance damage, skill damage, or was it …wait for it… physical damage? :confused: No, it couldn’t be physical, not from a fast moving projectile with a sharpened point.
When it comes to recovering from this wound, oops sorry I mean hit point loss, how is it done? Does someone come to yell at character X to walk it off, or sing a cheerful song, or does someone try to stop the bleeding and patch a nasty hole? This is not something you hand wave and move on. Seriously, if this doesn’t matter, then does the rest of the narrative matter?

Now let’s say that character X died from that single attack. Now how does the damage get describe or attributed to? Did the arrow bad luck character X to death or scare ‘em to death? Another curiosity is that when other issues in gameplay involve morale, luck, skill, and such there is no hit point loss. Except maybe for endurance at times. This is a lazy half-assed approach and abstraction isn't solving anything but seeding chaos.

Now as far as believability is concerned…the game needs to make some sense. And while there are those who will decry this statement I say how many use gravity in there games. Why not just throw out gravity, since believability isn’t needed in fantasy. Why not have small characters have 74” shoe size? The reason is the same for all…its freaking ridicules…lol

There is no good reason to use this fossil of a concept other than laziness to improve or nostalgia (a powerful force indeed). The reason to use it because we have always used it is the same as not using electricity because we didn’t use to use it. (no offense to those cultures)
There is my issue with hit points and I so hope 5th edition offers a decent alternative for those of us that would like to see it.

My alternative would be to have a defense that is used to avoid being hit with parry’s and shield blocks as well. And armor providing damage reduction. …it just make sense…

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
It depends on their level and hit die. Most are 1d8 hit points per level but undead and constructed sacred cows have larger hit dice.

BobTheNob

First Post
I have played alot of systems now, official and homebrew, and I have played exactly the type of mechanic you are advocating. Great, it works (to a degree...low hit tolerance games can tends to be...unmanageably fatal). But that it works in no way means D&D should adopt it.

Yes, hit points are a sacred cow. So? Yes, there are other ways out there. So?

Before you can consider saying its gotta go, you have to prove it doesnt work : thats the way it is with sacred cows. Your post definitely has gripes at its oddities, but this isnt anything new. You really havent said anything that hasnt been said a hundred times before. If you have something new to throw at the debate, please raise it by all means.

Alternate damage model as an option? I know there are stated objectives for a "modulariseable" game, but a damage mechanic is core to overall game design. I dont think this would happen either. Some things are interchangebble, this wont be.

Without anything new to add to this debate, I would rather stick with this Sacred Cow than chase your White Rabbit.

(p.s. please use paragraphs in future, that was a painful read)

Crazy Jerome

First Post
A sacred cow only has 1d6 + Con mod hit points. However, it also has a lot of friends in low and high places. Some of them are named things like "Guido" and have lots of experience with sharp utensils. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads