• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many magic items are PCs supposed to have?

BigCat

First Post
In glancing through the "start at a higher level than 1st" info in the DMG, it seemed to have different assumptions about how many magic items PCs should have than the treasure parcel lists. Specifically, the advanced starting info says PCs should have a level+1 item, a level item, and a level -1 item. Fine. But the way the treasure parcels are laid out, I would expect that advanced PCs would have at least level+2 or level+3 items as well. Does anyone have a sense of how this is supposed to work out?

Danceofmasks

First Post
I just assume that since the PCs in question are being created at the beginning of their level, they had level+2 items a couple of days ago, but they just leveled up.

Wik

First Post
I think it's really just a way to keep things roughly balanced. Sure, you won't have that Level+3 spear that you could have got if you had actually PLAYED the character, but I guess that's a reward for those who play the game from 1st onwards.

Essentially, it's saying that you got a level +2 item last level, just before you hit your current level. Makes sense to me. Plus, it's quick and easy (remember buying magical items in 3.5e? God, I hated that!)

StormCrow42

Explorer
It's a simplification, rather than figuring out all the magic items the party might have gotten and dividing them up. In addition, hand-picked magic items can be slightly more valuable than the random ones you might pick up from adventuring.

Jhaelen

First Post
Using the DMG method for npcs you always get only three items, but you get more cash than would have if you advanced to that level by adventuring, so the results are similar.

If you'd like a method that is closer to a 'naturally advanced' character:

Pick one of the following packages:
1: L+3, L-1, L-1
2: L+2, L, L-1
3: L+1, L+1, L-1
4: L+1, L, L

Then add additional cash sufficient to buy an item of L-1 each, plus a small rest of 1/2 the tier difference:
Every five levels you reach a new tier. Tier one has 160gp difference; so 1/2 = 80gp. Tier two has five times that amount (i.e. 800gp -> 400gp), etc.

This assumes that any items of of L-2 or lower have been cashed in.

keterys

First Post
A group of five gets a Level +4, Level +3, Level +2, Level +1... by the time they finish levelling to Level +1... so, your group of five level 2s might look like:

PC 1: Level 5
2: Level 4
3: Level 3
4: Level 2
5: None

The DMG method of
PCs 1-5: Level 3, Level 2, Level 1
Looks pretty darn good in comparison ;)

AllisterH

First Post
keterys said:
A group of five gets a Level +4, Level +3, Level +2, Level +1... by the time they finish levelling to Level +1... so, your group of five level 2s might look like:

PC 1: Level 5
2: Level 4
3: Level 3
4: Level 2
5: None

The DMG method of
PCs 1-5: Level 3, Level 2, Level 1
Looks pretty darn good in comparison ;)

Er, don't forget the monetary rewards.

PC #5 should at least have the monetary equivalent to buy a Level 1 item and the rest of the money should be split up between the PCs with the larger portions inversely proportional to the level of the treasure the PC got.

Remove ads