• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many PC deaths do you see per session?

What is the typical death ratio in your game?

• 1 death per session

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • 1 death every other session

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • 1 death every two sessions

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • 1 death every four sessions

Votes: 54 28.7%
  • Other (Please Describe)

Votes: 106 56.4%

Shayd3000

First Post
We average 1 death every two adventures, though right now we're just about to finish off the third adventure in a row without any PC death (knock on wood).
:cool:

vox

First Post
I put 1 in 4 but it is probably a bit less than that. This campaign the deaths have clumped up (near TPK) and then we have gone a long time w/no deaths. Also, we are in Ghostwalk so death is not such a big deal as you can continue playing as a ghost. That said, we have had 3 deaths followed much later by those 3 ghosts dying (6 deaths total). The party is 5th level and has until recently had 5 players (down to 4 now--not death related, I promise!)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I agree with Keeper of Secrets. Although I recently had two deaths in one session, that was a climactic encounter. It isn't like I don't try, but good play means that we usually end up with about one death per year.

Thanee

First Post
Voted other.

In the current campaign we had 10 PC deaths IIRC, the characters are now 10th to 11th level. But that was fairly heavy on PC deaths, normally the numbers are much lower. There is definitely no PC death schedule or something. :D

-Sorceress (me) died from a stupid swallow whole monster in the round before she could be freed, a level or two before she could learn Dimension Door.
-Aasimar Cleric died from a severe beating by a pair of Shambling Mounds. (Replaced with Halfling Paladin.)
-Bard died from Bodak's death gaze.
-Halfling Paladin died from the same Bodak's death gaze, rolling a 1 on a 2+ save.
-Hobgoblin Fighter fell through a trapdoor into a stream of lava (instant death). (Replaced with Centaur Fighter.)
-Barbarian/Dragon Disciple died at the hands of a nasty Cleric, after suffering from a Harm spell.
-Barbarian/Dragon Disciple died in melee with another power attacking Barbarian thanks to some previous lightning bolts.
-Mystic Theurge died by using Shield Other on the Barbarian and not dismissing it in time (I guess, this can be counted as suicide). (Replaced with Cleric.)
-Barbarian/Dragon Disciple died in melee with an army of goblins and a number of high level NPCs (about our level), after a critical hit dealt like 50 damage and a Flame Strike did the rest to finish him off, only seconds before we could Dimension Door into safety.
-Halfling Paladin died from an Assassin's death strike, rolling a 1 on a 2+ save... again.

Bye
Thanee

Jeff Wilder

First Post
One death every four sessions is probably pretty close to the average, but they come in clumps. Generally, my PCs either recognize that a fight is too much for them and withdraw or recognize that a fight might be too much for them but stubbornly hack away anyway.

Since I don't fudge -- I do all my combat rolls in the open -- the latter situation often results in multiple deaths. It doesn't happen often, and it's happening less now that the most impulsive player has moved to Seattle.

Meadred

First Post
I put other as there has been preciously few PC deaths with my current group. We have been playing together for about 11 years (sometimes on and off again, though) and during that time we've had a grand total of four PC deaths. Two of those where during our Dark Sun period (AD&D 2nd), and the two others were both characters of mine in our Kingdom of Kalamar campaign (First time I wasn't even there, and someone else was playing my character as a NPC, and the second time our DM didn't realise that perhaps you should scale down the adventure when there is only three PCs - two rogue-types and a weak spell caster - of whom all three are at least one level below the suggested for that adventure...).

Before gaming with my current group, I gamed with a group back in high school, where mortality was up! It was good old AD&D 1st Ed. and our DM was of the opinion that if not at least one of the PCs died during an adventure, he had failed! It goes without saying that you rolled up new characters almost every gaming sessions. In one year of gaming I think I lost four or five characters. In the end it got boring... :(

Cheers,
Meadred

fenrat

First Post
Not too many deaths until ....

As with other posts, I try to keep the deaths to a minimum.

In two years of play, we had many, many close calls, but it took a revenant to cause the first party death.

Much later, two hags with levels as rogues easily took out a character when the party stupidly split up.

Then, much to my chagrin, my entire party (save one wily ranger) got themselves killed deep in a dungeon (Dungeon Adventre - the Seventh Arm? or something like that)through a series of bad saves, critical hits by monsters, traps and bad decisions.

Ultimately, the wily ranger retired and we started up a new group of characters acting of a side story from the main campaign.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
For me, probably less than one every four sessions. Most of the time, the chances for death come up when there is a pretty hairy fight, and that is normally once every four sessions or so; not all of those end up having PC deaths.

My current campaign is clocking at somewhere between 8-10 sessions, once a month, with only three PCs. PC death would really kinda suck in this game. Not that I will stop it if that's what happens, but no, we've had no deaths. We've had several times folks have gone deep into negative hit points during a battle, though, if that means anything. I know my players feel like the battles are really stretching them a lot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads