• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many PC deaths in your current campaign?

How many PC deaths in your current campaign?

Votes: 41 27.5%
  • 1-2

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • 3-4

Votes: 26 17.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 0 0.0%

Menexenus

First Post
I agree with frankthedm: you need a 9+ option in your poll.

In my campaign, the DM was reluctant to kill us until the cleric got to 9th level and was able to cast Raise Dead. Once that happened, the kid gloves came off and the flood gates of character death were opened. I think there were only 3 deaths prior to the cleric hitting 9th level. Since then, we've probably had 7 or 8. My character is the tank of the party, so he tends to get singled out for special punishment by the bad guys. My character has died (and been raised) in 3 out of the last 4 gaming sessions! (I'm not proud of it, but it's a fact.)

Given the numbers in your poll, maybe you were only interested in *permanent* character deaths?? If so, then the answer is 1.

ForceUser

Explorer
Menexenus said:
I agree with frankthedm: you need a 9+ option in your poll.

In my campaign, the DM was reluctant to kill us until the cleric got to 9th level and was able to cast Raise Dead. Once that happened, the kid gloves came off and the flood gates of character death were opened. I think there were only 3 deaths prior to the cleric hitting 9th level. Since then, we've probably had 7 or 8. My character is the tank of the party, so he tends to get singled out for special punishment by the bad guys. My character has died (and been raised) in 3 out of the last 4 gaming sessions! (I'm not proud of it, but it's a fact.)

Given the numbers in your poll, maybe you were only interested in *permanent* character deaths?? If so, then the answer is 1.
Ouch. Does your DM use standard rules for this? Did you lose three levels?

haiiro

First Post
Thus far, 1. The campaign is about 8 months in, the party started at 3rd level and is now 4th or 5th.

The situation: the party's barbarian/rogue and pugilist/rogue suspected a door was trapped, but couldn't find anything to disarm. It was a heavy door, so working together they just tried lifting it -- and got pounded by a lightning trap.

It looked like the trap re-armed itself. They decide to try again anyway...and the pugilist rogue gets knocked straight down to -10 from the followup ice trap. As he had no patron deity and we play in FR, his soul was instantly whisked away to become a part of Kelemvor's wall...

shilsen

Adventurer
From 1st to 10th lvl:

4 members of the six member 6th lvl party, including 1 NPC, "killed" during an ambush (but brought back due to a divinely-granted single-use magic item) by four 5th lvl NPCs.

8th lvl paladin killed by a goblin (garden variety) during an ambush on the sleeping party.

Entire party (10th lvl) plus half a dozen equivalent level NPCs TPKed by a high level vampire mage and a treacherous high level cleric (the latter helped them a bit against the former and let him soften them up for him).

rln

Explorer
We're up to... lets see, ten dead PC's so far. This campaign has been running since 2000 (albeit randomly) and we're up to level 9 (those who haven't done a lot of dying, that is).

Five or six of those are from one player... my two characters died during the two single games I could not participate in :p

EricNoah

Adventurer
I wish I could vote multiple times for multiple campaigns I'm in.

In the AU campaign I'm running (with hp/damage related house rules) there have been zero PC deaths over two levels, so that's not much to judge by.

In a high-level D&D campaign in which I'm a player, there were three deaths in just the last game session. We're at a point where we have a death or so each session, but *boing!* one True Resurreciton scroll later and they're back up on their feet.

In a mid-level D&D campaign in which I'm a player, there have been several PC deaths; some resulted in Raise Dead while others resulted in new PCs being created. My own PC has died once, I believe.

randomling

First Post
S'mon said:
Lots and lots and lots...
Hehehehe. Yes. :)

In the last year or so of play in S'mon's game:

Maryse, Lilliana (cohort), Galak, Sol, Elros, Cho (raised, then retired), Rhianne, Aos, Titania (cohort), Saphie, Barak. And possibly several more that I can't remember. :)

Definitely need a 9+ option!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads