• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many players would use a service like this

BRayne

Adventurer
It would actually be pretty cool for a new celebrity pro-DM to emerge who not only has folks pay big money to play with him but also has a strong Twitch/YT following.

BDave Walters used to have a patreon where he would run around 2 games a day for members. But that clearly wasn't sustainable.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This is a good thing, though. As much as I love Critical Role, my friends and I could never afford to hire Matt Mercer to run games for us. :cool:

That would be like hiring Rembrandt to paint my house.
I don’t think he’s as amazing as all that. He’s great, sure, better than any DM I’ve ever had, certainly. But man, he loves his pointless lore dumps, long-winded descriptions, and session padding. Shopping, extended pointless dialogs, etc. And damn is he addicted to pointless skill checks. “I look at the harbor. Are there any ships docked?” “Roll perception.”

If I was ever going to pay a DM, it would be Mercer (or Ashley) but I’d pay him extra just to get on with it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
And damn is he addicted to pointless skill checks. “I look at the harbor. Are there any ships docked?” “Roll perception.”
I suspect that this is actually an example of a GM practice that a lot of us have - which is using the random roll result to help us improvise and also getting the player to fill some time while we think of a response.

I'll respond with a "roll some skill" as a reflex when a player asks about something I didn't think to put into my notes both to get a random result that isn't just me rolling and then having to also interpret what the results mean and to fill time with something other than me looking up and muttering "I dunno, would there be ships docked here" or something like that. A player result gives me something to riff off of and also a short bit of time to get my act together and figure out an answer. I know I'm not the only GM to do things like that because it was pretty common advice when I was a baby DM.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I suspect that this is actually an example of a GM practice that a lot of us have - which is using the random roll result to help us improvise and also getting the player to fill some time while we think of a response.

I'll respond with a "roll some skill" as a reflex when a player asks about something I didn't think to put into my notes both to get a random result that isn't just me rolling and then having to also interpret what the results mean and to fill time with something other than me looking up and muttering "I dunno, would there be ships docked here" or something like that. A player result gives me something to riff off of and also a short bit of time to get my act together and figure out an answer. I know I'm not the only GM to do things like that because it was pretty common advice when I was a baby DM.
I suspect you’re spot on. Doesn’t make it any less groan worthy when it’s stuff that shouldn’t be gated behind a roll though.

MarkB

Legend
Sure. But no “pro DM” is going to become the next Critical Role. At best they’re going to burn themselves out scrambling to run more and more games to make a few extra bucks. This is a gig, at best. Not Critical Role. LOL.
Some may see it as a way into the more streaming-based GMing market, though. If they have a portfolio of successful paid GM gigs with positive feedback from players, that could be a useful thing to have on the CV when looking to get into one of the various groups / companies that run organised streamed play these days.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads