• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many rounds do most of your combats last?

How many rounds do most of your combats last

• 1-2

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 3-4

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • 5-6

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • 6+

Votes: 11 9.8%

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
So we go from tall buildings to 40 some feet to 20ish using a character build with 20s in strength and dex that's far outside the norm? Talk about moving the goal posts.

Even then we're talking Steve Rogers, not Jessica Jones levels of high jump.
Who said it was outside the norm? I think you are conflating my claims with that of the others, I just said 1) it's impressive, and 2) "tall" is ambiguous (and even explicitly said that the build I first mentioned would probably fail to hold up to a reasonable interpretation of the word anyway).

Oofta

Legend
Who said it was outside the norm? I think you are conflating my claims with that of the others, I just said 1) it's impressive, and 2) "tall" is ambiguous (and even explicitly said that the build I first mentioned would probably fail to hold up to a reasonable interpretation of the word anyway).
Huh? Okay first it's a claim of over 40 feet. But without magic or supernatural the absolute maximum I can get is grabbing a handhold a little over 20 ft off the ground by maxing dex and strength while having a very specific build.

Most of the time the max will be reaching around 17 ft. The world record high jump is 8 ft, which is clearing a bar, not grabbing a handhold.

So a PC can jump a little higher (with a 20 strength and 7 ft tall) than is probably practical. But it's in the ballpark and not bad for a super simplified calculation.

It's far from leaping a tall building In a single bound so I have no clue what you're trying to say any more.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Huh? Okay first it's a claim of over 40 feet. But without magic or supernatural the absolute maximum I can get is grabbing a handhold a little over 20 ft off the ground by maxing dex and strength while having a very specific build.

Most of the time the max will be reaching around 17 ft. The world record high jump is 8 ft, which is clearing a bar, not grabbing a handhold.

So a PC can jump a little higher (with a 20 strength and 7 ft tall) than is probably practical. But it's in the ballpark and not bad for a super simplified calculation.

It's far from leaping a tall building In a single bound so I have no clue what you're trying to say any more.
I mean exactly what I said, and I thought that it was pretty clear.
  • High jumping 13' when the world record is 8' is, in my opinion, impressive.
  • "Tall" isn't a number
That's it. That's all I said. Kindly stop trying to twist my words into some kind of claim that 5e characters are Superman. I know that has been said in this thread, so I get where you are coming from, but your beef is not with me.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
  • "Tall" isn't a number
That's it. That's all I said. Kindly stop trying to twist my words into some kind of claim that 5e characters are Superman. I know that has been said in this thread, so I get where you are coming from, but your beef is not with me.

They call this moving the goalposts.

Your first comment in this thread was a reply to @Oofta
I don't know what system you're playing, but leaping a tall building in a single bound without use of magic has never been a part of any game I've ever played.
I mean, how tall is tall? I get the feeling you guys are talking skyscrapers, but FWIW a 7' tall PC in 5e with the right build could grab the ledge of a 42'6" roof, no magic involved.

It's since been established that this isn't really the case and the best we are getting to is a 13ft high jump. Better than the real world - sure. But the rules never set out to mimic the real world precisely. They instead set out to be a close enough approximation. In that regard, jumping 13ft instead of 8ft isn't supernatural at all, it's just a crude approximation of reality - but perhaps more importantly, we are talking about a level 12 PC at lowest level accomplishing this? Compared to the actual supernatural abilities of a level 12 Caster, the ability to jump 5ft higher than real life just doesn't seem supernatural in comparison.

Oofta

Legend
  • "Tall" isn't a number
That's not what started all of this - I said that PCs were not superheroes and could not leap tall buildings in a single bound. You then keep ... I dunno insisting they are while changing numbers from 42'6" down to 13'. You can do an 8' high jump in D&D with a maxed out strength. You could possibly do a bit more with a specific build available only to 1 subclass but only by maxing out both dex and strength. I can't think of why anyone would do that.

But if an 8' tall building meets your definition of a tall building ... more power to you. Have a good one!

G

Guest 6801328

That's not what started all of this - I said that PCs were not superheroes and could not leap tall buildings in a single bound. You then keep ... I dunno insisting they are while changing numbers from 42'6" down to 13'. You can do an 8' high jump in D&D with a maxed out strength. You could possibly do a bit more with a specific build available only to 1 subclass but only by maxing out both dex and strength. I can't think of why anyone would do that.

But if an 8' tall building meets your definition of a tall building ... more power to you. Have a good one!

You should probably re-read the thread and then maybe apologize to him.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
They call this moving the goalposts.

Your first comment in this thread was a reply to @Oofta

It's since been established that this isn't really the case and the best we are getting to is a 13ft high jump. Better than the real world - sure. But the rules never set out to mimic the real world precisely. They instead set out to be a close enough approximation. In that regard, jumping 13ft instead of 8ft isn't supernatural at all, it's just a crude approximation of reality - but perhaps more importantly, we are talking about a level 12 PC at lowest level accomplishing this? Compared to the actual supernatural abilities of a level 12 Caster, the ability to jump 5ft higher than real life just doesn't seem supernatural in comparison.
You're right, Oofta did move the goal posts by changing the rules from "no magic" to "nothing that could be construed as supernatural", but I'm not a dick so I quietly updated the numbers to reflect his new rules instead of turning it into a fight.

Anyone actually reading my first comment would see that I said "I get the feeling you guys are talking skyscrapers" which are obviously higher than even that first build could ever hope to achieve and that I presented that number as a novelty, not a counterargument. In other words, I open by saying that Oofta was right, but somehow here we are.
That's not what started all of this - I said that PCs were not superheroes and could not leap tall buildings in a single bound. You then keep ... I dunno insisting they are while changing numbers from 42'6" down to 13'.
I never insisted they were. As I have said, you keep putting words in my mouth.

Remove ads