• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many rules gaffs do you make in a game?

How many rules errors do you make in a game session?

• 1-2

Votes: 91 42.1%
  • 3-4

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • 5-6

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • 7-8

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 9-10

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 11+

Votes: 20 9.3%

JamesL85

First Post
FAR too many.....There wasn't an option for that (similar to none) so I didn't vote.....LOL

Probably the worst, and the one that the players in my group will never let me forget, was in Undermountain. I had imbibed a few too many ales, and there were a couple of synapses that were sporadically firing.....Area of Interest XY2 on the first level map.....The solid gold anvil with 4 coffers, three of which are filled with 444 5,000 gp gems, the last holds a gem worth 200,000 gp. The whole area is a holy site to the dwarven deity Dumathoin. The thief that figured out how to get into the room was actually a dwarf, so I took him into another room to tell him what was going on.....I was reading from the text of the module, and the amount of Bud Light in my system couldn't keep me from reading too far in advance, so I read, and tried to fix my error.....And I quote: "You realize that the gold anvil is a holy symbol of Dumathoin, so you would be appalled if anyone tried to mess with that, but you can take the gems because that's part of Dumathoin's......Crap, you don't know about the gems.....Oh never mind the chests aren't locked.....Crap....." At that point, the dwarven thief went sprinting back into the other room and yells that he's removing the gems from the chests.....I STILL haven't lived that one down......

ALMOST as bad as the first time that I played D&D.....Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh anyone???? My DM (his first time DM'ing also) had me roll up an entire party, and I had almost cleared out the pirate ship before he realized that he had never had me roll to hit, I was just rolling for damage......

I almost don't feel bad......LOL

James

IronWolf

blank
I think I am more like a 2 to 3 type for moderate mistakes. There are so many rules an intricacies to keep track of in a game. I try my best and I do try to avoid the same mistake twice. Ask me again in a year and we will see if I am down to the 1-2 range! Or maybe even the missing 0 option! :)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I'm more of a seat of the pants DM than I am a by the book one. I really don't like the AoO rules much at all, so if you count ignoring rules on purpose as a gaff, then by golly, I'm off the scale.

I'm in the 2-3 range. You want irony? I'm the local rules lawyer.

Mistakes happen. If it's a mistake in the player's favor, I let it stand. If it's a mistake that kills a character, I often take it back... Unless we're playing Call of the Cthulhu. :cool:

A'koss

Explorer
There's no real average IMO, it all depends at what level you're gaming. I make very few mistakes at low levels (my group was always on the ball), but after about 12th level or so you're going to begin to miss stuff. When you get into the high teens and up all the enemy powerups can be tricky to keep track of.

A'koss.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Darkness said:
Few, sometimes none. This is one of the few situations where being a perfectionist helps.

I'm similar here, being likewise a perfectionist. The numbers listed would better apply to me on a yearly basis than on a session basis.

Perhaps 1 such error per 4 sessions?

Americano

First Post
I never remember damage reduction.

I've taken to writing DR whatever with a big red marker on top of my notepad so I remember it at least occaisionally.

Pants

First Post
JamesL85 said:
I STILL haven't lived that one down......
Don't feel bad, during my very 2nd game of D&D, my friend was DMing a module and as we were searching through a haunted mansion, we came upon a firepit. Being the ever-looting PC's that we were, we searched through the ash and lo and behold we came upon a ring in true Gygaxian fashion. The DM said:
'Okay, so you finish looking through the fireplace and you find... *looking at notes* a Ring of Prot - DAMNIT!'

He hasn't lived that one down either :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Well, in the games I run I try to adhere to the basic (what is in the SRD) rules. So based on that, I only make a maxiumum of 4 mistakes per session. I try to keep a log on what mistakes I make, so that I can reread the area in refresh my memory to the way to resolve the issue/problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads