• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many Scrolls can you Scribe in one day?

cthulhu_duck

First Post
If you have the Scribe Scroll feat, you can prepare scrolls for future use. The description for the feat nicely informs us:

Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price.

However, I don't think I've ever seen anything in the rules or the FAQ that addresses whether you can prepare multiple scrolls in one day or not per the RAW. Anyone aware of anything from Wizards that discusses the matter?

Thurbane

First Post
I would imagine that "scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1000gp" means that a scroll takes one day, minimum. So I'd say the answer to your question is one.

Unless someone can quote something different?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How many scrolls could a woodchuck scribe if a woodchuck could scribe scrolls?

As many scrolls as a woodchuck could scribe if a woodchuck could scribe scrolls.

Sorry...I'm no help at all? Except to say that I suspect a scroll with multiple spells will need to be considered after the inevitable "one per day" answer arrives.

Zurai

First Post
As Mistwell points out, you can scribe multiple spells (even different spells) onto the same scroll. Thus, the "one day per 1,000 gp" rule doesn't really apply if all you want to know is how many SPELLS you can scribe rather than how many different SCROLLS you can scribe.

the Jester

Legend
I have always ruled that it's one scroll per day, but up to 1000 gp value in spells can go on that scroll in that day (so maybe a couple of low-mid level spells or whatever).

Nifft

Penguin Herder
You can scribe one scroll per day. However, you can scribe multiple spells onto a single scroll... which is how casters make their time more efficient. :)

I seem to recall -- but can't find a quote to back up -- that scroll has a single caster level, so you can't for example put a 1st level identify on the same scroll as a 6th level fireball - you'd have to pay for a 6th level identify, though the cost would buy you nothing particularly useful. However a scroll could fit one 5th level fireball, two 5th level acid arrows, and one 5th level magic missile perfectly. :)

Cheers, -- N

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nifft said:
I seem to recall -- but can't find a quote to back up -- that scroll has a single caster level...

Right. Any magic item has a single caster level. Among other things, it's used to determine the DC for a Dispel Magic used to suppress the item, or to determine the item's saving throw bonuses, or whatever... a magic item can't have two different caster levels.

(This is stated explicitly for staffs - "The caster level of all spells in a staff must be the same" - but it's a general principle; also note that the rules for scrolls refer to 'the scroll's caster level' and not 'the spell's caster level'.)

-Hyp.

irdeggman

First Post
As pointed out in a round about way.

Every magic item takes at least 1 day to create but a scroll with muttple spells on it counts as a singe magic item.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I never liked that rule. It seems odd that you can write down 10 spells on a really long roll of parchment, but you can't write the same spells on 10 smaller rolls of parchment, or separate a long roll into individual spells. :uhoh:
It goes against the iconic image of the wizard thumbing through his scrolls.. "Now, what did I do with that Lightning Bolt scroll I penned last Tuesday?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads