• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many settings do you own (vs how many you actually use)?

Arnwyn

First Post
johnsemlak said:
I wonder if I could steer the thread more in the direction of whether you buy settings to use, or to mine for ideas; and which settings are very good for ideas.
I buy any settings to use - specifically, they must 75%+ insertable into my (moderately tweaked) FR game.

Grim

First Post
Me?

Scarred Lands (The GCS and "The Divine and the Defeated")

And I've never played it. Or even mined it for ideas.

Oops.

Last edited:

Nighthawk

First Post
I have most everything fantasy-related that other posters have mentioned, although other genres I have few of (I prefer to be a player in that type of game, and know as little as I can before playing, both in terms of game mechanics and campaign background; strange but true).

I just realized I am doing the same thing I did before 3E/d20 was released: collecting far too much gaming material, thereby using up a large amount of shelf space. Time to trim that "gaming product" tree. :)

Rolemancer

First Post
Boycott Eberron

I'll tell you which one I won't be buying, Eberron.

Why?

Just a personal protest due to 3.5 messing up my entire collection of d20 books that I spent a lot of cash on.

I suggest the rest of you who feel like me let your voices be heard at the cash register as well.

Buy Arcana Unearthed to play in the world of the Diamond Throne instead since Monte Cook spoke up publicly against the 3.5 fiasco. He seems to truly understand how us gamers who invested a lot of time and money into 3.0 feel about it.

Emiricol

arnwyn said:

I buy any settings to use - specifically, they must 75%+ insertable into my (moderately tweaked) FR game.

Midnight's magic system is really cool, and Open. Mutants & Masterminds, with a bit of tweaking, could be used for classless, level-less system (since that's what it is hehe).

D20 Modern's magic types and that Con-based Fort save on damage, are really cool ideas.

Olive

Explorer
I own:

FR (a bunch of stuff, incl. the CS)
Greyhawk (LGG)
Freeport (mods and city book)
Oriental adventures (although I wouldn't say this was a setting, and I don't own any of the rokugan stuff)
I also have Relics & Rituals but only as a magic book.

I use stuff from pretty much all of this, esp. the FR stuff. I DM in no setting but my homebrew. I also play in an Iron Kingdoms game...

talinthas

First Post
DLCS (and every dragonlance product ever)
FRCS
Oriental Adventures
WoT
the D&D gazetteer (the little pamphlet which is basically greyhawk light)

Otherwise, since i play dragonlance almost exclusivly, i've had no reason to check other settings, like AU or KoK, out.

JoeGKushner

First Post
What edition are we talking about here? I'm assuming third.

Scarred Lands
Greyhawk
Forgotten Realms
Oathbound
Midnight
Dungeonworld
Ravenloft
Warcraft

Ah hell with it, you get the idea...

Even as a reviewer I still buy a lot of books and steal to my heart's content so there isn't a setting safe from me.

Then again, I've stopped buying so much just because I've stopped stealing even due to the overwhelming amount of good general support out so I doubt I'll pick up the 3.5 Ravenloft book or the Dragonlance ones.

Staffan

Legend
Hi, my name is Staffan and I'm a setting ho'.

Though slightly less so recently... most of the settings I own are 2e things. These are the settings for which I at least own the basic stuff:
Forgotten Realms (3e and 2e)
Dark Sun (complete)
Al-Qadim
Greyhawk (3e and 2e)
Planescape
Spelljammer
Mystara
Savage Coast (well, printed out from the free RTFs)
Oathbound (3e only)
Birthright
Jakandor ("mini-setting" consisting of three books)

I also have Relics & Rituals and Creature Catalog for Shattered Lands, but none of the actual setting stuff.

Remove ads