• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many skills?

SilverBulletKY

First Post
Doesn't most classes get at least 4 skills? 2 or more from the class and/or race and 2 from background? I was looking at something that made me second guess myself and appeared you only got your class/race skills but could change those to whatever skills your background allowed, just giving your more options, but not more skills.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Your initial interpretation was correct: background skills are in addition to class skills, so all characters get at least 4 skills (2 from class + 2 from background).

mcbobbo

Explorer
I still don't comprehend where people are 'getting' that characters get any skills at all. Everyone gets all the skills now. Some you get a modest bonus with, but you have them all.

mcbobbo

Explorer
It goes to the point. The important part is whether you can make the check at all, not necessarily whether or not you get a 10% bonus to that check. In this edition you can always try, and with good stats you are likely to succeed. There's no 'untrained' penalty. There's no downside to 'not getting' a skill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads