• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many soldiers should protect a capital city?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
psychic mind flayer said:
What are the Mass Combat Rules? Are you legally able to give them out? If you are, could you explain what they are? Thanks.:)

Basically, mass combat rules are a system for determining who wins in a battle between large groups of soldiers.

You can find paper and pencil rules (i.e. not requiring minis) in books like War and Fields of Blood. I kinda like Fields of Blood myself, though I've never used it.

There are some miniatures-based mass combat systems, too. Miniatures Handbook has a rudimentary system. Games Workshop's Warmaster is probably the best fantasy version right now, though it's kind of expensive, and harder to find nowadays. Warhammer is a more skirmish-scale game, but readily available, if requiring vast quantities of money.

The advantage to the Heroes of Battle approach is that the DM gets to control what happens, so you don't have surprises...like the PC regiments getting overrun in short order when they weren't supposed to.

Brad

Remove ads