D&D 5E How Many Spaces on a Grid Does Cloud of Daggers Effect?

How Much Space on a Grid Does Cloud of Daggers Take Up?

Votes: 44 75.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 14 24.1%

I generally do not require a "snap to grid" for effects, using a template to determine where the effect occurs. If a character is not in at least 50% of the space, it has advantage on the save for being on the edge of the effect. This means that Cloud of Daggers could affect multiple creatures, but they're all going to have advantage on the save.
Good rule in general but Cloud of Daggers... has no save.

Maybe a sphere would be a better format for this spell, like all other ''cloud'' spells.
I would prefer they dispensed with square effects entirely. They are just unnecessarily gamey.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My issue with this is that Cloud of Daggers states it is centered on its point of origin, which contradicts the normal rules for cubes that say a cube's point of origin is not inside of its area of affect unless one chooses otherwise. In the case of Cloud of Daggers the cube's point of origin must be in the area of effect, at its center.

Basically, Cloud of Daggers is a "cube" that violates the rules for cubic areas of effect.
That isn't really an issue, just specific (CoD) overrides general (cube AoE spells).

Even with that, the center in my diagram would be in space #1.

Now, even if you want to go with the snap to center, you would get 4 targets.

Mon

Explorer
My issue with this is that Cloud of Daggers states it is centered on its point of origin, which contradicts the normal rules for cubes that say a cube's point of origin is not inside of its area of affect unless one chooses otherwise. In the case of Cloud of Daggers the cube's point of origin must be in the area of effect, at its center.

Basically, Cloud of Daggers is a "cube" that violates the rules for cubic areas of effect.
True, but I don't phrase it as being a violation. Just a case of specific beats general.

I tend to be generous with cloud of daggers targetting (choose 1, 2, or 4 spaces), but we play a mix of TOTM and grid so we're a bit more fuzzy than some tables and a bit more precise than others. Crawford's response sits well enough with me.

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
One target, I don't allow targeting grid lines or crosslines.

Anyone that tried would get dreadsocked.
Wait...

So let's say your party is in a 20ft hallway, such that width-wise, it covers 4 squares on a grid. They get into combat and the druid wants to cast Web such that it is anchored between the two walls. How would you rule that on the grid-based system?

If they choose a wall as a point of origin, then they would be choosing a point on either a grid-line or intersection. If they choose a point centered on the center of a grid square, the web will collapse before the duration ends.

Remove ads