• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many spells each day and each encounter do we truly get?

kolpo

First Post
I was wondering if anyone who went to d&d experience could answer this:

If you know 2 daily spells and 7 encounter spells, can you then use all 2 daily spells each day and all 7 encounter spells each encounter? Or can you only use 1 daily spell each day and 1 encounter spells each encounter? This would make a gigantic difference.

They could also have a system where newly learned spells replace old ones. So that you need to remove your 1 st levels daily spells to learn a new one at a higher level.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
You can use up all your per-encounter and per-day spells in one encounter if you wish, there are no limits.

They have talked about being able to "retrain" where you can drop a Power to gain a New more powerful Power of similar kind.

Fallen Seraph said:
You can use up all your per-encounter and per-day spells in one encounter if you wish, there are no limits.

They have talked about being able to "retrain" where you can drop a Power to gain a New more powerful Power of similar kind.

Well, there are limits per round.

So it's perfectly possible for an encounter to end before you get the chance to use up all of your spells regardless of whether you wanted to use them or not.

Alternately, you could die before you use them too.

keterys

First Post
It's worth noting that the wizard has two daily powers and has to select one, unlike the other characters who have only one daily.

But, yeah, you get to use all your powers.

Incenjucar

Legend
The classes have slightly different schticks when it comes to powers.

Divine characters seem to all get to choose between exclusive encounter powers every round.

Fighters don't expend dailies until they hit.

Wizards know more dailies, but have to choose between them beforehand.

They're trying to mix it up to make sure classes feel differently.

kolpo

First Post
Thanks for the answers; this seems me indeed the best solution. It also means that slight less useful encounter and daily spells shall also be used, unlike the previous system where you simply filled your memorization slots with the most useful ones.

Maybe is the wizard different because he can learn daily spells from scrolls. The wizard could rob a magic scroll shop(taking all daily spells he can learn), giving him way too many daily spells/day.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't understand the design rationale...

Only 1 use of one of your daily abilities + lots of encounter powers.

Why does it ring me totally wrong?

Lots of encounter abilities, each of which can be used 1/enc, means that after a few levels you have enough encounter abilities that you are basically using them once per round, since they are better than at-will abilities (you may still want to use an at-will for a specific effect, but on the average you'd better just use one encounter ability at every round). But at that point, why should you be forced to use a different one each round?

I was expecting few encounter abilities uses, so that during an encounter for instance you could use 1 (chosen among those you know), to change the tide of the battle, and spend the other rounds with normal attacks or at-will abilities.

OTOH I was expecting at least a bunch of daily abilities uses, because after all you have to plan their use carefully, since it doesn't refresh at every encounter.

Incenjucar

Legend
Because you don't want to be able to use any one specific encounter power every single round, nor do you want to ever run out of powers to use.

You also won't be getting THAT many encounter powers.

They may not all be standard actions, either.

Remove ads