• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Spells On One Scroll?

Aluvial

Explorer
I know that this had been discussed before but I can't seem to find any threads on it (I don't have the search capability).

How many spells can you put on one scroll in a day?

Is it:

A) You are only allowed to do one spell per day? Each one has the unique name of 'scroll'

B) You can put up to 1,000 gp worth of spells on one 'scroll' a day

C) Similar to option A, but you can add one spell at a time to the scroll

D) Similar to option B, but you can add more than one spell to a scroll

My solution, which belongs in House Rules (although this question doesn't) is:

You may cast a number of spells onto one scroll up to 1,000 gp per day, AND you can only create scrolls that have a number of spells on them equal to your highest spell casting level.

For example: A 5th level Wizard can make a scroll with up to three spells on it (his maximum spell level he can cast).

What is the correct solution to this problem, am I close?

Aluvial

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
I think, as it stands in the DMG, is that you can only scribe one spell on one scroll per day, although it has been [g]heavily[/g] discussed that that is not the way to do it, and that the other options you mentionned (namely option B) are possible, especially since you can find a scroll with multiple spells on it.

I'm not sure if it has been clarified in the FAQ

So you know, you have opened the proverbial can of worms. :)

Maitre D

melkoriii

First Post
In the DMG under the random treasure tables. (IIRC)

They list item scroll with X number of spells on it.

The only thing about scribing is that it itakes 1 day per 1000gp the scroll is worth.

You can scrib as many spells as you can cast on one scroll.

Just remember that if the scroll is lost or destroyed, you lose all the spells.

kreynolds

First Post
A scroll with multiple spells is still a single magic item, just like a staff with multiple spells is a single magic item. I don't believe that you are limited to one spell per scroll per day. AFAIK, normal crafting rules apply (i.e. B).

Aluvial

Explorer
How many spells can you fit onto one scroll then?

If you don't set a limit on it, you could have a 1st level caster make a scroll with 40 Cure Lt Wounds on it in one day for 1000 gp's and only 40 xp's!!!

That doesn't seem right.

This also doesn't lend balance to the guy who makes potions. He is only allowed one a day, regardless (even though any one can take the potion then, a good advantage to those items).

This is why I put the caster's spell level maximum as a cap for it. A guy who can only cast 4th level spells can only put up to four spells onto one scroll. The maximum would be a scroll with 9 spells on it!

Aluvial

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Why am i remembering very heated discussions about this?

Maitre D

edit: from the SRD

The base price of a scroll is its spell level multiplied by its caster level multiplied by 25 gp

which seems to imply for me that 1 scroll = 1 spell, but, like i said, it doesnt explain why you can find a scroll with multiple spells on it.

Another (maybe stupid) argument. If you could make a scroll with multiple spells on it in one day, why couldnt you brew a whole barrel of cure light wound potions (say 20 potions at 50 gold each) in one day?

Maitre D

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Aluvial said:
If you don't set a limit on it, you could have a 1st level caster make a scroll with 40 Cure Lt Wounds on it in one day for 1000 gp's and only 40 xp's!!!

Who do you know that can cast Cure Light Wounds 400 times in one day?
dubious-yellow.gif

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
kreynolds said:

Who do you know that can cast Cure Light Wounds 400 times in one day?
dubious-yellow.gif
When crafting magic items that have a spell requirement, you need to be able to cast the spell once per day during the crafting. (E.g., you don't have to cast 50 magic missiles to make a wand of MM.)

-AK

Aluvial

Explorer
Ahh, I missed that little part...

This number crunching is starting to bother me... I feel like you need a damn photographic memory and an internal calculator to figure anything up in this game on the fly...

But you guys are right, at most a Cleric would have to be 17th level and have a Wisdom of say 20 to cast 40 1st level spells in a day... but it can be done!

Aluvial

kreynolds

First Post
Antikinesis said:
When crafting magic items that have a spell requirement, you need to be able to cast the spell once per day during the crafting. (E.g., you don't have to cast 50 magic missiles to make a wand of MM.)

True, but a scroll with multiple spells is not simply a charged item. I'm actually starting to think that none of this matters anyway, that you can only make one scroll per day, and only spell per scroll per day. That would best follow the rules.

Remove ads