• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many wizards does it take to screw in a lightbu- I mean, kill Elminster?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That's it! Don't attack Elminster -- attack the world! If you can change how magic works in the world (more possible than taking out a rule-breaking Mary Sue directly), you can cripple Elminster and then kick him while he's down. Which he richly deserves.

The old AD&D 2e adventure "The Apocalypse Stone" may offer a decent way to accomplish this end, as might the old Shadow World box set (basically, knocking the planet off its axis will funk with how magic works in the world).

Now, the question is, would you cripple the whole world to get at Elminster? I think that there are probably legions of former PCs who would answer this question with a resounding "Yes!" ;)

Zurai

First Post
Deekin said:
Lure him to the base of the Spire, or into Sigil. Kill him there and trap the soul.

Doesn't he have Divine Rank 0 (as one of Mystra's Chosen)? Aren't deities forbidden from entering Sigil? Wouldn't he know that?

Korgoth

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
If im not mistaken tech wont work in Faerun. Course I dont know anything about Gamma World so it might work.

How about a Wish that the Torc grenade will work, then chuck it?

The Torc grenade disintegrates a 15m radius. No saves or anything like that.

I don't know about this "Elmarysue's Evasion", though. How exactly does it work?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Elminster's Evasion, 9th (Evocation)
Range: 0
Components: V S, M
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 1 turn + total casting time of all associated spells
Area of Effect: The caster
Saving Throw: None
A customized version of the contingency spell slanted toward the preservation of the caster, this spell will cause, under certain specific conditions, the caster's body, mind, and spirit to travel to another location. The transfer is automatic and transfers only the body and those items physically attached to it but leaves behind any attached items weighing more than 50 lbs. individually. The spell brings together body, spirit, and mind, even if in different locations.
When casting this spell, the wizard must detail six specific conditions under which the evasion will function. When any of these situations occurs, the caster's form is whisked away to the location. This location can be on the same plane or on any other known plane of existence or demiplane that the wizard has visited.
Also, when casting the spell, the mage indicates two other spells (cast immediately after the evasion by the mage) that will be cast once the wizard arrives at the location.
The material components of this spell are a pint of the caster's blood and a gem worth at least 5,000 gp. Both are consumed in the casting of the spell. The wizard also immediately loses ld4 hit points that remain lost until the evasion spell is triggered, at which point they are immediately recovered.
This spell was developed by Elminster of Shadowdale, with the intention of taking his form to a dimensional location he calls "Safehold" for cures and resurrection (if needed). As an example, the six clauses he says he uses are:

1. Upon his own death;
2. Upon loss of his mental faculties;
3. Upon loss of his physical faculties;
4. Upon destruction of both upper limbs;
5. Upon destruction of total body volume;
6. Upon his utterance of the word "Thaele."

Supposedly, Safehold contains enough contingencies, spells, and magical items to effect a safe rescue of the sage of Shadowdale, should it be necessary.

Basically, you have two options. First, change how magic works (or knock it out of existence) as I mention previously. Second, find and take control of Safehold. And, really, that latter option sounds like great campaign fodder.

Daedrova

First Post
In canon FR material Elminster has nearly died multiple times. Ed Greenwood wrote Elminster in Hell, wherein the sage was nearly defeated during an attack on Shadowdale by the Shades (edit: removed spoiler).

Again Elminster is absent from Shadowdale before the events in the adventure “Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land” take place. The adventure background explains that he was nearly killed by yet another attack by the Shades. He survives, only narrowly escaping via his contingency spells.

The Shadovar/Princes of Shade can or will kill him. Telamont is a 35th level caster (Elminster is CL 29); all 12 of the Princes are level 20+, many of them being epic level casters.

Unless he has a death wish, in order to operate in Faerun Elminster will have to hide and work in secret, which removes him as the ever-present “hero.”

If he makes his presence known again, his death can be guaranteed by an assault from one or two of the epic level Shade Arcanists.

If I needed to ensure his demise, Lord Shadow would take two sons - Princes Brennus and Lamorak (both 26th level casters in Lords of Darkness).
One casts greater teleport after the other two have readied 1) a disjunction to end any protections/contingencies and 2) dimensional lock (both triggered upon completion of teleport). The casters would have Reactive (and Epic) Counterspelling as well. This will deny any possible escape.

If needed, the high level flunkies would be a few assassins and/or warriors from the Shade’s elite forces that are teleported with the Princes, and have readied actions to partial-charge Elminster. Having them hasted and trained as Spellcasting Harriers would also help (I believe that feat allows an AoO even if a caster attempts to cast defensively).

Trap the soul or similar epic magic would guarantee Elminster cannot return after quickly being overpowered by epic spells and deadly implementation of shadow-magic weapons.

Last edited:

Korgoth

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Basically, you have two options. First, change how magic works (or knock it out of existence) as I mention previously. Second, find and take control of Safehold. And, really, that latter option sounds like great campaign fodder.

Thanks for the spell description. And yikes.

Couldn't a Wish strip that spell off of him?

Polydamas

First Post
You know why high level wizards have towers instead of capitol cities? No social skills as class skills. No detection skills either. Combine that with a low fortitude save and I say a rogue or bard with maxed bluff could get close enough to do the deed. Maybe poison the wizard while they are asleep (especially if they are sharing a bed....drip poison on the skin, something nasty mixed together on the premise to avoid detection). Some sort of magical doo dad like Trap the soul, or sucker them into walking into an over sized sphere of annihilation. The trick is to gain the lonely chump's trust.....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads