• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many xp-awarding challenges do you have in your game sessions?

How many xp-awarding challenges do you have in 4 hours of D&D3 gaming?

Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 22 18.3%

Votes: 34 28.3%

Votes: 22 18.3%

Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 9 7.5%

Votes: 4 3.3%

Votes: 4 3.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11+

Votes: 3 2.5%

Quasqueton

First Post
How many xp-awarding challenges do you have in 4 hours of D&D3 gaming? These can be combat encounters or role-playing encounters, or whatever -- anything with an EL or CR attached to it.

Quasqueton

exile

First Post
When running a game, I shoot for three. The DM that runs most of our group's games probably gets about two in.

Chad

Mallus

Legend
The poll's missing a 'Not applicable' response, so I didn't vote.

In my campaign the characters get XP per adventure or series of linked events. Actually, they used to get XP that way, now I just tell them when they've leveled.

Quasqueton

First Post
The poll's missing a 'Not applicable' response, so I didn't vote.

In my campaign the characters get XP per adventure or series of linked events. Actually, they used to get XP that way, now I just tell them when they've leveled.
No choice for 0?
This poll is only concerned with gaining XP through overcoming EL/CR-type challenges.

If you don't give XP per the standard method, this poll is not for you. So no, "Not applicable" or "0" option is necessary or relevant.

Quasqueton

McBard

First Post
I said 3, but it actually varies according to PC level. At 1st level, I've become able to DM 5-6 encounters per 3-4 hour session. This rate drops about 1 encounter per 3 additoinal PC levels--down to about 1 or 2 encounters per session starting around 12th level. I've never run a campaign past 13th/14th level, and most likely as a result of this grindingly slow encounter rate by high levels.

der_kluge

Adventurer
This poll suffers from a failure of imagination. :)

Technically - zero, since like Mallus, I don't use XP - I just level the party up when I feel like it.

But, if I were using XP, it would be anywhere from zero (when the PCs are mucking around town) to maybe 3-4.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
In D&D typically 4 in a typical 6 hour game. Although half will be actual combat encounters.

Currently I'm running Cyberpunk 2020 - so everything the characters do is an xp-awarding challenge.

Edit: crud, I voted 4 but that's for 6 hours... so really it should be 3.

Remove ads