• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How may martial artists are out there in the Rpg world?

Relic

First Post
I have been a student of martial arts since I was about 2 years old (so... 25+ years); my mother teaches so I have grown up with it. My primary study is Choy Li Fut Kung Fu but I also have noteworthy study in Wing Wui Kung Fu, Jeet Kwon Do, and Tae Kwon Do. I also have some knowledge of Karate, Hwarang Do, and Capeoira.

As far as how it has influenced my life... totally. It has influenced my outlook on life, my philosophy, my religion, my morals, how I interact with people, how I interact with myself... Essentially it has influenced every aspect of who I am and who I strive to be.

Enforcer

Explorer
Relic said:
I have been a student of martial arts since I was about 2 years old (so... 25+ years); my mother teaches so I have grown up with it. My primary study is Choy Li Fut Kung Fu but I also have noteworthy study in Wing Wui Kung Fu, Jeet Kwon Do, and Tae Kwon Do. I also have some knowledge of Karate, Hwarang Do, and Capeoira.

I've always thought that Capeoira is one of the coolest looking martial arts ever. Is it true, Relic (or anyone else who would know) that it was developed by African slaves and many of the moves were developed to be used when a person's arms are shackled? All I really know is what Eddie from Tekken looks like, and one show on the Discovery Channel.

Relic

First Post
Enforcer said:

I've always thought that Capeoira is one of the coolest looking martial arts ever. Is it true, Relic (or anyone else who would know) that it was developed by African slaves and many of the moves were developed to be used when a person's arms are shackled? All I really know is what Eddie from Tekken looks like, and one show on the Discovery Channel.

Capeoira was, indeed, developed by African slaves. It is a combination of dance, folk lore, and martial prowess. Its emphasis is dance, however. Like most dance, dance is mostly focused on foot movement, balance, and flexibility. That is one of the aspects that is easily perceived by Capeoira... its emphasis on sweeps, foot, balance, and flexibility.

There is a Capeoira studio here in Chicago that had an excellent web site that was highly detailed about Capeoira history, philosophy, art, and practice. I am supposed to go there within the next week or two. When I do I will find out what their web site is and post it.

Stone Angel

First Post
Well never actually trained at an official martial arts school, I have however read a couple of books on Akido(the guys that live above me practice this, so go up there too) and Ju-jitsu. They were more about outlooks on life and phillosophy than technique, but some interesting tid bits as well. I have wrestled for about 10 years and boxed when I was in high school. I have learned a few things.
1. Most guys only have one good swing(or bottle)
2. Most guys are just talk.
3. If you are not prepared to roll around punch each other in the nose a few times, then go get a beer with that person and laugh, don't fight.

I really don't like to fight, but when you live in a college campus town surrounded by frat boys and sports fans that start the weekend on Wed. you are bound to get into a couple of scraps. Wrestling more than anything has helped me. Once you can get on top of someone, that is the best position to talk some sense into them. BTW I am really suprised by how many people study eastern martial sciences'. Also I am not saying that wrestling is better than one or another given martial art form, just my experience.

BryonD

Hero
Yoshukai Karate

I was an assistant / substitute instructor, but I have been out of it for nearly 3 years now.

IMO, kung-fu styles are very effective on the streets. BUT, they tend to have a much longer learning curve than a lot of other styles. In most any martial art, 6 months in you are probably more dangerous to yourself than to your opponent and worse at fighting for real than the day you started. Then you start to make progress. For kung-fu systems it seems to take even longer. But in the end, if you stick with it, they easily are every bit as good.

(I am assuming a typical 3 to 5 class a week commerical dojo training. If you are into some kind of real dedicated 7 day a week thing, you can obviously be very skilled in less than 6 months.)

Mortaneus

First Post
Re: Re: How may martial artists are out there in the Rpg world?

ancient_ones said:

Wing Chun currently, I've been in and out of Martial arts for years. But most of those schools were garbage anyway. In the U.S we have the same issue with BJJ but eventually that art will water down and be come a mcdojo art also so I don't let it upset me. I find what I do very practical for the street. it all boils down to the instructor though.

You want street worthiness? Try silat. Good luck finding a teacher, though.

Last edited:

olethros

First Post
Wah Lum Kung Fu and Yang Tai Chi. I started taking Martial Arts for the first time after I got out of college 3 years ago. (10 years growing up, 4 years NCAA swimming and diving, had enough of that decided to move on) I absolutely love the Chinese martial arts and my school is very traditional in it's training methods.
So what if my tiger Fork isn't very street effective, I've got a big trident and I can poke stuff with it!
(poke, poke)
:D

Last edited:

ancient_ones

First Post
Re: Re: Re: How may martial artists are out there in the Rpg world?

Mortaneus said:

You want street worthiness? Try silat. Good luck finding a teacher, though.

I already have that covered my instructor also teaches kali and mande muda silat:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads