How much back story do you allow/expect at the start of the game?

Well, we're adult people in a social game -- if there are questions on approach, we resolve them. It's not anything like a "You said it, and now nothing else can be said." But, yeah, I guess if you have a gotcha jerk as DM, your last bit there might be a problem, but I'd rather just not play with that DM.

I've decided that my lack of patience with rulesy, RAW approaches have to do with the incredibly high correlation between players with that attribute and players who are poor at socializiation. The rules substitute to a great degree for having the social skills to manage interactions with other players without devolving into either a purity spiral spergatron or an antisocial misanthrope who doesn't have healthy friend relationships with their fellow players.

As a side effect, I'm also comfortable telling people who I'm also friends with that we shouldn't game together if what we want from the experience is so different that we're merely likely to frustrate each other.

It's amazing to me as I engage in these types of discussions to see how many D&D "rules problems" are really social problems that can (and almost certainly should) be solved socially. When I see rules used as a patch to cover bad social behavior, that's a MAJOR red flag that I shouldn't be gaming with these people. The real rule zero, which shouldn't have to be stated, but I'm more and more convinced that maybe sometimes it does, is that "This is just a game and nothing that happens in game should jeopardize actual friendships or social interactions. If it does, you're definitely doing it wrong."

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I've decided that my lack of patience with rulesy, RAW approaches have to do with the incredibly high correlation between players with that attribute and players who are poor at socializiation. The rules substitute to a great degree for having the social skills to manage interactions with other players without devolving into either a purity spiral spergatron or an antisocial misanthrope who doesn't have healthy friend relationships with their fellow players.

As a side effect, I'm also comfortable telling people who I'm also friends with that we shouldn't game together if what we want from the experience is so different that we're merely likely to frustrate each other.

It's amazing to me as I engage in these types of discussions to see how many D&D "rules problems" are really social problems that can (and almost certainly should) be solved socially. When I see rules used as a patch to cover bad social behavior, that's a MAJOR red flag that I shouldn't be gaming with these people. The real rule zero, which shouldn't have to be stated, but I'm more and more convinced that maybe sometimes it does, is that "This is just a game and nothing that happens in game should jeopardize actual friendships or social interactions. If it does, you're definitely doing it wrong."

Well, all that being good and all, but I'm still going to call you Hobo even if you've indicated you'd prefer a different moniker. I lack the social graces necessary to honor your preference in this matter.

:p

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, all that being good and all, but I'm still going to call you Hobo even if you've indicated you'd prefer a different moniker. I lack the social graces necessary to honor your preference in this matter.
:p

It’s like an artist - it’s his “post-Hobo” period. :)

Remove ads