How much do you pay writers?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Jesus. As an infrequent freelancer, I've edited, developed, and written a number of RPG products now. None of the people I've worked with have paid me that low. The least I've ever been paid was 0.02 per word, and that was for the very first project I was ever hired to develop/write. I had no history of employment in RPGs at the time and the publisher was taking a big chance on me (I had to write 30k words and help develop the final setting of the game with a firm deadline). I feel that was a fair rate, given the circumstances. I have never been paid that little since then.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That’s a dumpster fire. My first freelance RPG writing work was paid 3¢/word, then 4¢/word* for most projects after that. The only trouble I’ve had with freelancing is the publisher losing the license while in the process of hiring me (happened once) and the publisher giving me an assignment without a contract then going radio silent until the day of the deadline (happened once).

* Note that is a worse rate than what most pulp magazine writers from the 1920s and 1930s were paid. Find an inflation calculator and set it to 1923 and 2023. Put in 1¢ for 1923 (pulp writers were often paid 1¢/word) and see what the equivalent is in 2023. The inflation calculator I used spit out 18¢ as the 2023 equivalent. At least four times more than my RPG freelancing work ever paid.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Guh, I'm not personally familiar with the process, but even I know that this is a fraction of the going rate.

It is literally the bare minimum you can pay. Even notoriously stingy game publishers pay more than this. I was absolutely shocked to see that somebody was still paying freelancers this rate and doubling down to defend it in the year of our Lord 2023. This is almost as bad as offering to pay freelancers in "exposure".

aramis erak

Legend
It's insultingly low (says the guy with 1 published article in gaming; my other publications were all for work.).

My article was 3000 words; I got over $120. 4c a word. Counting a 50 word quote on theme inserted by my editor. (Bless him!)
That's SJG's new writer rate. And I'll note as well - my editor dragged much better out of me.

There's a hard law in place: what the market will bear. And the market is both flooded with material, and vulnerable to file-sharing.

If the countless signs are correct, and we're headed into another recession, it will only get worse. Hobby sectors always get hit first and hardest.

Remove ads