• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much does a soldier make?

Sinistar

Greetings.

I have a quick question, what would you consider a decent starting pay for 1) a private in a country's army 2) a town guardsman for a city 3) a town guardsman for a town and finally for 4) a sergeant in a country's army.

Just a base line, what you would expect for the standard of these. Or, alternatively if they are listed somewhere in the books that I just have not found let me know where.

I appreciate any help

Lord_Thokk

First Post
Personally, for people in an army, I always have the soldiers make no income, but instead are housed, fed, and given armor and weapons. The military is for those that have nothing left to lose in most of my campaigns, but to answr your question.....

1)about 5 silver a week
2)about 5 gold a week
3)about 1 gold and 5 silver a week and
4)about 20 gold a week

aurin777

First Post
There are comparible numbers in the DMG. They talk of hiring servicemen and such. Wizards are something to the tune of 3 gold a month, so I think the prices listed above may be a little steep. Something to consider, anyway...
~~Brandon

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I tend to agree with Lord Thokk. For the private and Sergeant in a country's army it could go from a few coppers a week to pillage rights the officers before the NCo's before the men. For a town or city guardsman it would depend on how lawful it was. Most guardsmen might take bribes and "taxes" as a supplement to the few silver they receive a week. All the above depends on your idea of what they should be paid. just remember that in all the cases they are provided food, clothing and shelter in exchange for the duties assigned.

dave_o

Explorer
Well, since I'm starting a mercenary based campaign, I've given it some thought. And there are a few "salaries".

First, the leader of All-Favors Mercenary Company makes, well, however much he wants, pretty much. But, of course, most of his funds are spent making the company as good as it can be.

Higher ups are provided room, board, and an additional five-ten gold pieces weekly for expendatures. Many of the non-professional soliders make private residences, and take up other vocations.

Mid-low soliders make one-three gold pieces a week, and are provided with lesser room, and lesser board.

But the main wealth and attraction of All-Favors (other than a pretty damn good living) are the pillage contracts. That, and any group of able-bodied men who find an officer, and get him to head up an expedition, can verify this expedition (making sure it doesn't break treaties, etc.) and just go for some conquest action.

Redleg06

First Post
IN a feudal society a peasant levy might only get food and a roof. Maybe some spending copper.

Also, There might be a flat wage or "pay in goods" at the end of service for a soldier of any rank. (Maybe a goat for a peasent, or land and title for a knight.)

Harold Mayo

First Post
I have tried for many years to try and make a realistic wage scale for my world but have never really been able to do so. I end up just winging it.

Isn't 5 silver a week for a private and 20 gold a week for a sergeant a little too much of a gap? I mean, I think a private in the US Army makes $1200-$1600 a month or something like that, plus room and board and uniforms and stuff while a sergeant will only make $300 or $400 more a month. Those are ball-park figures, anyway. The above example is like saying that a sergeant in the real world should make about $40,000 a month.

grep

First Post
That was then...

That was then, and this is now.

I can't speak for feudal Europe, but if you look at the wages of soliders in WWII, you'll notice a huge differences in salaries compared to what it is now. It was probably even worse back then, when the serfs were not much better than slaves, anyway.

Just something to think about.

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
There is a list in the old 1e DMG:

GP/month
1 : footman (light)
2 : archer (short bow), crossbowman, footman (heavy)
3 : pikeman, horseman (light), slinger
4 : archer (long bow), horseman (crossbowman), horseman (medium)
6: horseman (archer), horseman (heavy)

Captain : 100 / lvl
Sergeant : value of troops * 10 (30 for pikemen for ex.)

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Roman soldiers were paid quite well if I recall correctly.

Medievil Soldiers were usually slaves (serfs) conscripted to serve.

Modern soldiers are usually so poorly paid as to be living in poverty. Many US military personal for example have to suppliment their income with welfare and other benifits. When I was in in the early 90s, I was getting about 300 to 400 a month. Less than my rent, so I had to go through a series of strange room mates...

I tend to base everything but technology in my fantasy off of Roman standards. Which is actually what most D&D does if you look at it.

Medieval people had zero freedom of movement or social mobility, never saw nor used a single coin of any type in their lives, rarely went more than a few miles from their birth spot, were mostly illiterate, and could be forced to do just about anything by the local warlord...

In Roman times however they had a complex economy, coinage in wide circulation, wide scale literacy, citizenship with rights, social mobility, and the freedom to wander about the empire. A lot more like your typical D&D setup.

So I would use the Roman model for a soldier's pay.

http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/mil_soldiers_life.htm
(A Roman soldier's life)

Rates of pay
As shown earlier, there were different types of soldier within and attached to each legion, and s such this was reflected in the rates of pay.

Around 117-138AD, it was recorded that a top legionary soldier would receive 300 silver denarii a year, a trooper in the cavalry 200 denarii, a cavalryman in a part mounted unit 150 and a private in the infantry 100 denarii. Non Commissioned Officers (NCO's) were on a higher scale, with junior NCO's having 1½ times the basic rate, and the senior NCO's receiving double.

However the soldier was expected to pay for items such as his uniform, weapons, bedding, the unit's burial fund and even for rations. By the time all the deductions had been made, he was left with about one fifth of his original earnings. Even so, the soldier had security and a level of pay that was higher than he would receive in civilian life.

Last edited:

Remove ads