• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Much Does Attending GenCon Cost?

While it's still fresh in all the attendee's minds I thought I'd ask how much I should plan on spending if I want to attend GenCon next year. And yes, I know this will vary depending on where you flew out from and what airline and such. I'm just trying to figure out how much I'd need to save up.

I'd be flying in from Maine and would want a hotel close to the convention center if that helps.

Thanks!

mcrow

Explorer
Well the Hilton is about 4 blocks away and I believe the rooms are $160/night. So thats $640.

Figure in about $10-15 a meal ( you can find cheaper though). Figuring 2 meals a day thats ~$100.

Badge $60.

We got charges $48 for parking

so about $850 + airfare or gas money

Plus you will want spending money, I brought $200 to blow on stuff. So for me it would be about $1000. This year though I worked for an RPG publisher and they covered the hotel, badge ,and travel for me so in the end it was just $300.

I suggest finding people to split a room with and if you live close enough to drive try to carpool.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Man....

I spent over $400 on gaming products (Great Cthulhu, Burning Wheel, Burning Empire & Accessories, 16mm steel dice, minis from Lance & Laser/Magnificent Egos, others, Queen of Lies, Silk Road, etc...)

This doesn't count housing.

This doesn't count gas.

This doesn't count food and miscellaneous (tooth paste, brush, shampoo, etc...)

Some however, probably didn't spend any on gaming products and did a lot of time playing games and watching the free anime, doing the free paint and take, free seminars, and free manga library.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
395 - Hotel & Parking (my share) 2 person Room at Hyatt
250 - Food, Drinks, tips, Red Garter
200 - Dealer room
150 - Misc (events, badge, etc)
--------------------------------------------------------
995 - Total

There are ways to reduce cost, more people in room and volunteering.

Hotel $160 for 3 nights (we stayed in a hotel not in downtown Indy, but only took 7 minutes to get to the convention center. I stayed with 2 other people so my cost was $53)

Parking $44 for all 4 days (twice we were right across the street from the Con and once we were about 5 blocks away)

Food $40 (we brought coolers and ate our own breakfast and lunch)

Dealer's Hall $300 (your prices will certainly vary based upon what you're looking for)

Events $6 (most of my events were seminars except for the two 4-hour NSDM games)

So I spent about $414 once I got there (after splitting the parking cost 3-ways) I could have spent nothing in the Dealer's Hall and eaten my own dinners and got away with only spending about $74 (which I've done) and still had a great time.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
we drove 3 hours, slept at my friend's house, ate out maybe 3 times, didn't buy a badge, didn't buy anything at the dealer hall, and i'm pretty sure we still spent about $200...

amazingshafeman

First Post
Hotels.com and we got a cheap Days Inn room about 5-10 minute drive from the Con for $50/night. Two of us in the room. My costs were:

100 - room
60 - gas (120 round trip, MN to Indy split between the 2 of us)
60 - pass
54 - event tickets (including True Dungeon)
150 - food (alcatraz once, ram twice, pizza once, and lunch at the sushi bar once, plus overpriced convention center snacks)
160 - mad loot
45 - purchases made AFTER the con (would have been more, but the FLGS only had 1 of the things I wanted and couldn't find at the con itself)
56 - parking
------
685 total

Ways to save for next year - more people on the trip to save on gas. (we're spending more on a hotel for convenience. not because the cheapo was bad, just because we can) less scheduled events, more mingling and pick up games. I'd say taking our own food, but I love the Ram and the sushi bar. They'll be getting more of my money next year.

If you volunteer you can cut that down further by getting free admission and even a free room....

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
I see a "badge" mentioned and it seems it is optional... what is it for exactly?
Badge is to get you in and about the con, you should not be able to get into the deader hall and events without one but I hear people do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads