How much does my giant weight?

Honorlord

Explorer
So you are saying you didn't realize?
What I am saying is someone I know was searching for how to know what their character should weigh and this came up. The post never gave a clear answer so I posted a clear answer for the next person searching, not to be concerned with what was 20 years ago, but for those who get this post when searching now. The post being 20 years old is irrelevant.

Does it matter? Thread necromancies are fun! It's fun to see old conversations, what has or hasn't changed.
In the end, it doesn't. It usually happens accidentally, and it is often useful information to the poster that the person they quoted may not be active on the site anymore and thus will not respond. That was the reasoning for my first response, and is consistent with how others have dealt with like situations on this site and elsewhere (and people generally respond with something along the lines of 'whoops, thanks,' or 'no, I realized, I still wanted to respond, it's okay if they're long gone'). The second was more bemused response to the evasion. As you say, it doesn't matter, and thus being evasive in the response seems unnecessary and unusual.
What I am saying is someone I know was searching for how to know what their character should weigh and this came up. The post never gave a clear answer so I posted a clear answer for the next person searching, not to be concerned with what was 20 years ago, but for those who get this post when searching now. The post being 20 years old is irrelevant.
Then why can't you say whether you noticed or not?

To the subject at hand -- if the DM has an idea of how big their giant (or dragon, etc.) is, then knowing how much that equates to in weight certainly has value (so kudos to the books and everyone who provided answers for doing so). On a broader level, even in editions where the size (or at least height/length for dragons) was listed, I don't think any two people ever had the same conception on how big these big things were, certainly not until something like whether they could fit somewhere or could they be pushed off of something came into play. It seems that sometimes the devs (or at least artists) had similar problems. There's many instances of artwork where the giants seem wildly larger than their book descriptions, and at least one instance in the writing (in the Orcs of Thar, I believe, ogres are said to play a game where they see how many halflings they can fit in their mouth). Not that that means much for giants adhering to the book standards, but probably a good idea with a new DM to confirm how they envision their big entities.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I'm a little surprised that no one back in the day or today has referenced How Heavy is My Giant? from Dragon #13, April 1978. When digs into the calculations using the square/cube rule, and provides a reference table of the pounds per cubic foot for dozens of different materials, for special giants or golems made of a wide variety of substances. :) It's a fun read if you have the issue or can find a PDF online.

Honorlord

Explorer
In the end, it doesn't. It usually happens accidentally, and it is often useful information to the poster that the person they quoted may not be active on the site anymore and thus will not respond. That was the reasoning for my first response, and is consistent with how others have dealt with like situations on this site and elsewhere (and people generally respond with something along the lines of 'whoops, thanks,' or 'no, I realized, I still wanted to respond, it's okay if they're long gone'). The second was more bemused response to the evasion. As you say, it doesn't matter, and thus being evasive in the response seems unnecessary and unusual.

Then why can't you say whether you noticed or not?

To the subject at hand -- if the DM has an idea of how big their giant (or dragon, etc.) is, then knowing how much that equates to in weight certainly has value (so kudos to the books and everyone who provided answers for doing so). On a broader level, even in editions where the size (or at least height/length for dragons) was listed, I don't think any two people ever had the same conception on how big these big things were, certainly not until something like whether they could fit somewhere or could they be pushed off of something came into play. It seems that sometimes the devs (or at least artists) had similar problems. There's many instances of artwork where the giants seem wildly larger than their book descriptions, and at least one instance in the writing (in the Orcs of Thar, I believe, ogres are said to play a game where they see how many halflings they can fit in their mouth). Not that that means much for giants adhering to the book standards, but probably a good idea with a new DM to confirm how they envision their big entities.
I am sorry you are so obsessive over this date time of the post. Somehow you missed the reason for my post even though I stated it rather clearly. The time date stamp is in the title of the post and in every reply which make the idea of not knowing it was almost twenty years old when I replied rather obtuse. You have actually gotten to the point of your obsession that it is amusing. Then with the "To the subject at hand" it feels like going back to the unclear confusing of the simplicity of the concept, adding to the obtuse information "Make it whatever without reference to reasoning it out"?

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
I think you're all missing the point. If this is a DnD based question doesn't the giants weight have to be measured in coins?

Remove ads