• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much for giving warlocks iterative eldritch blasts?

Voadam

Legend
How much would an item be for giving a warlock eldritch blasts at their iterative attacks instead of 1/round as a spell like ability?

How much if it is useable only 1/day?

Kunimatyu

First Post
Voadam said:
How much would an item be for giving a warlock eldritch blasts at their iterative attacks instead of 1/round as a spell like ability?

How much if it is useable only 1/day?

Wow...I'm not sure I'd ever consider an item that did that at will. One of the limiting factors on the blast is that it can only be done once per round(though the invocation "Eldritch Glaive" does allow iterative melee touch attacks with the blast.

There is, however, an item called a "belt of battle" in the Magic Item Compendium. Once per day, it can give you an extra standard action, so a Warlock could cast 2 blasts at full BAB, or use an eldritch blast or another invocation. I don't recall the cost off-hand, but that would be a good starting point.

Nyeshet

First Post
This wouldn't be usable until level eight, and it would be of little consequence until a level or two after that due to the low chance of the second strike hitting (initially). Then, at level 15 it would allow a third attack that has almost no chance of hitting anything not killable in one hit anyway, but again after a few levels (around 20th) it would become almost worthwhile.

Such an item wouldn't be really worthwhile until around levels 12 - 15. I would make it a ring, and I would require a second ring for the third attack. As one can only where two of them, this could be a limiting factor (considering how many rings are worth having). Cost-wise, it is hard to say how much it should be worth. Perhaps the cost of a ring that can cast Wish once? So that would work out to 9 * 17 * 2000, not including the xp component. Presuming 5 gp to 1 xp, that would add another 25k to the price, for a total of 331k gp. A bit on the expensive side, but if you presume Limited Wish instead, it is reduced to 183,500 gp. Either way is a bit expensive, but I might go with the second so that it is affordable prior to epic levels - but still not affordable prior to very high levels.

On another note, perhaps you could create a feat akin to Rapid Shot or Multi Shot - ie: take a penalty to all attacks, and in exchange you get a second attack. They could then take the feat (a notable cost by itself) to gain the benefit. This might be too easy, however.

I'm not really sure how I would handle it, but those are the only two ideas that come to mind at the moment.

saucercrab

Explorer
Wizards.com has an official, epic warlock feat for using eldritch blast twice in a round, here. It does more than just add an extra attack, though, but sets a good benchmark.

For a magic item to grant extra EB attacks, yeah, make it damn expensive, along the lines of what you've got so far. I'd make it an epic item, though.

Voadam

Legend
saucercrab said:
Wizards.com has an official, epic warlock feat for using eldritch blast twice in a round, here. It does more than just add an extra attack, though, but sets a good benchmark.

For a magic item to grant extra EB attacks, yeah, make it damn expensive, along the lines of what you've got so far. I'd make it an epic item, though.

Eldritch Sculptor, two every round plus a few other benefits.

Eldritch Sculptor [Epic]

You control and shape your eldritch blasts like a master sculptor.

Prerequisites: One invocation from the least, lesser, greater, and dark blast shape invocation categories, Spellcraft 24 ranks.

Benefit: You can use two eldritch blasts per round as a full attack action, rather than the normal limit of one. You can apply eldritch essences to both blasts. If you possess the Lord of All Essences feat, you can imbue each blast with two eldritch essences. Activating this ability is part of the action to use an eldritch blast.

The area and range of all your eldritch blasts is doubled. Activating this ability is part of the action to use an eldritch blast. If you imbue your eldritch blast with the eldritch spear blast shape, the range increases to 500 feet. If you are using the hideous blow invocation, you no longer suffer attacks of opportunity for invoking this power in melee and all attacks of opportunity you make can include hideous blow. If you imbue your eldritch blast with the eldritch chain blast shape, you may start the chain up to 120 feet away from you and the maximum distance between each target increases to 60 feet. The area of the eldritch doom blast shape increases to 40 feet from you. The range of your eldritch cone increases to 120 feet.

You gain +2 bonus on attack rolls to hit an opponent with your eldritch blast. This is an extraordinary ability.

Normal: A warlock can use only one eldritch blast per round. Using the hideous blow blast shape provokes attacks of opportunity and cannot be used as part of an attack of opportunity.

There is an easier way to get two a round though for a limited number of rounds.
Quicken Spell-Like Ability [General]
Prerequisite

Spell-like ability at caster level 10th or higher.
Benefit

Choose one of the creature’s spell-like abilities, subject to the restrictions described below. The creature can use that ability as a quickened spell-like ability three times per day (or less, if the ability is normally usable only once or twice per day).

Using a quickened spell-like ability is a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The creature can perform another action—including the use of another spell-like ability—in the same round that it uses a quickened spell-like ability. The creature may use only one quickened spell-like ability per round.

The creature can only select a spell-like ability duplicating a spell with a level less than or equal to half its caster level (round down) -4. For a summary, see the associated table.

In addition, a spell-like ability that duplicates a spell with a casting time greater than 1 full round cannot be quickened.
Normal

Normally the use of a spell-like ability requires a standard action and provokes an attack of opportunity unless noted otherwise.
Special

This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, the creature can apply it to a different one of its spell-like abilities.

Quicken Spell-Like Ability Spell Level Caster Level
to Quicken
0 8th
1st 10th
2nd 12th
3rd 14th
4th 16th
5th 18th
6th 20th
7th —
8th —
9th —

MrNexx

First Post
Why not just an item which affects eldritch blast with the Eldritch Chain Invocation? Eldritch Chain is, essentially, being able to make iterative attacks as if you had a Full BAB equal to your warlock level.

I would make it as a staff, since you're wanting to use the wielder's level and ability scores for the attacks. Since Eldritch Chain is a 4th level equivalent, you have a minimum caster level of 6, giving you an approximate cost of 4*6*375 (per DMG, page 287), or 9000 gold pieces; it will have 50 charges, in that case. If you want to be able to use it uncharged, then it will cost 18000 (extrapolating from table 7-33 on page 285 of the DMG, where a 50 charge item is half the cost of a unlimited item).

Last edited:

Zurai

First Post
Or, again, you could just make it a Greater Blast Shape invocation. Making it a Blast Shape pretty much eliminates potential abuse, because it means you can't use any of the other Blast shapes; that means you're limited to 30' range, single targets only.

Hell, you could probably justify it as a Lesser Blast Shape invocation, since that's where Eldritch Chain is, which (as mentioned) is pretty much iterative Eldritch Blast anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads