• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much for that empty building???

frog

Explorer
All,

After a long hiatus I am back in an ongoing game. We are playing the Savage Tide adventure path and have just finished up the first adventure. I want to buy some of the abandoned buildings in the Sunrise section of town, near Dead Dog Alley.

Any idea where there is information on how much empty buildings may cost to purchase in this part of town?

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Kill the city clerk's office and take their deeds.

Seriously, though, why should you pay anything? Who is going to push you out? Can you defend your claim?

frog

Explorer
InVinoVeritas said:
Kill the city clerk's office and take their deeds.

Seriously, though, why should you pay anything? Who is going to push you out? Can you defend your claim?

Because we have some "Lawful" people in our group who wouldn't take kindly to that.

Why dead dog alley?

There are some interesting things under dead dog alley that I would like to have access to.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Fair enough wanting to do things by the book. Still, who owns the buildings? Does the city maintain records on that sort of thing, or are they "unclaimed property" with no owner?

If it truly has no owner, then you can claim it yourself.

If it does have an owner, you need to figure out who it is so you can buy it from them.

Either way, the price is not the first consideration of the property. The status of ownership on an abandoned building is.

Check to see if your GM is using Stronghold Builders Guild or Medieval Magical Society:Western Europe. I've got both and MMS:WE is by far the better supplement.

Cost of the property will be based on three factors:
-the property itself. A stone house in a given city will have a given value. It takes about 5 minutes using MMS:WE to cost out a structure, with or without contents.

-The location. Not having played that Path, I'm guessing a place called "Dead Dog Alley" is pretty crappy and will likely decrease the relative worth of the property. MMS:WE has some guidance but not a whole lot. It's up to the GM.

-The owner's intent. Sometimes "abandoned" buildings are really used by smuggling or criminal operations and the owner has no intent of selling. Alternately they can just be sentimentally attached or have some legal (if not necessarily prudent) plan for the property.

SiderisAnon

First Post
frog said:
Any idea where there is information on how much empty buildings may cost to purchase in this part of town?
If you are already a local hero, then convince the King/Mayor/Whoever that these abandoned building pose both a threat to the safety of the city and aren't providing any taxes. Have the government seize the property for lack of taxes or immanent domain or whatever else and either give it to you or sell it cheaply. The catch/bonus is that they get to give experienced troubleshooters a base and link in the city, which gives them access to your services in the future. Plus, you'll be paying them taxes now. (And perhaps cleaning up the entire neighborhood.)

adwyn

Community Supporter
English common law has a concept of "adverse possession" which allows people to claim abandonded property and use it. If the owners show up within a specified period of time you'll have to move and may owe back rent. If they don't the squatters will be able to claim ownership.

Details vary by the locale but is easy to see such a concept being carried over into a fantasy realm, provided there is even private ownership of land.

My vote would be to just move in and tell the others in your party you'll settle up with anyone who comes knocking.

BadMojo

First Post
adwyn said:
My vote would be to just move in and tell the others in your party you'll settle up with anyone who comes knocking.

Who better to do some squatting than a heavily armed group of lunatics? :D

frog

Explorer
BadMojo said:
Who better to do some squatting than a heavily armed group of lunatics? :D

AMEN to that!!!

Especially when one lunatic has a +15 to his Diplomacy checks at 3rd level. I am planning on getting to the point where 1 round with my character (a rogue) and you will give him your life savings to invest in his "sure fire way of earning money".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads