• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much noise does a lightning bolt make?

Zendragon

First Post
Last session the party is next to a building, at night, in the desert. 10th level caster casts lightning bolt off the side of a building. (Bank shot to get a line of bad guys) The question is how much noise does a lightning bolt make, and would bouncing it off the wall wake the inhabitants inside. Now granted it is a thick wall of 10 feet. I can't believe that it would be as loud a lighting bolt that we are all used to hearing. The lighting bolt is only 120 foot long so it's not moving as much air as the lighting bolts that we know. There is nothing in the rules about thundering noise. It is powerful enough to melt low melting point metals and catch combustibles on fire. The session ended right after this battle so I have time to send out the inhabitants of the building at the start of next session. How would you handle this?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I don't think lightning bolts bounce anymore....

If the wall is flimsy enough, the bolt might destroy the wall. The inhabitants would probably notice that. :)

What's your wall made of?

Check out Nifft's link (or refer to your PHB, page 78).

It's DC -10 to hear a battle, modified for distance and for the wall (If a stone wall, that adds 15 to the DC. If there's a door on that side of the building, only add 5).

Interestingly enough, the lightning bolt spell doesn't describe any noise. In any case, the verbal component of the spell should be able to be heard (as battle noise DC).

AnonymousOne

First Post
Well ... since there is nothing in the description of the spell, so assuming that the spell mirrors the natural thing, it doesn't make any sound. If there is thunder resulting from a magical lightning discharge, then you would hear that, and not the actual bolt.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Lightning Bolt, by definition, makes a lot less noise than a Thunderstone since it does not deafen characters in its vicinity.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sound of Azure said:
Interestingly enough, the lightning bolt spell doesn't describe any noise. In any case, the verbal component of the spell should be able to be heard (as battle noise DC).

I was more thinking of the sizzling guards and their death-screams, but sure, there's verbal components too. :)

Cheers, -- N

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Nifft said:
I was more thinking of the sizzling guards and their death-screams, but sure, there's verbal components too. :)

Cheers, -- N

I always forget about that stuff. Fog of war, I guess. :p

Ninja Lightning bolt?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads