D&D 5E How much should 5e aim at balance?

The Choice

First Post
It actually has origins older than The Incredibles. Ayn Rand talks about it in her works, for instance.

Oh, I'll amend my previous statement then: You are paraphrasing an actual, real-world, meth-head, serial-killer-worshipping, hypocritical sociopath to bolster an argument against equality, transparency and fairness.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Mod Note: Please see my post below. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Oh, I'll amend my previous statement then: You are paraphrasing an actual, real-world, meth-head, serial-killer-worshipping, hypocritical sociopath to bolster an argument against equality, transparency and fairness.

You're missing the point. It doesn't really matter who said it, it matters whether or not it's true.

"Special" is by definition out of the ordinary. If everyone is special, there is no ordinary character to use as a frame of reference, therefore, no one is special.

This is, incidentally, my opinion; I'm not citing anyone else.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

The validity of an idea does not depend on its origin.

You're missing the point. It doesn't really matter who said it, it matters whether or not it's true.

"Special" is by definition out of the ordinary. If everyone is special, there is no ordinary character to use as a frame of reference, therefore, no one is special.

First, it's false. Everyone is an individual. (I'm Spartacus!) And if an athlete can win an olympic gold that doesn't make the surgeon saving someone's life on the operating table any less special.

Second it's irrelevant. PCs are members of an adventuring party - they'd be special for that alone assuming any success.

Third, whatever you may think of Ayn Rand (and on this as on just about everything else I disagree with her), I can track the idea back through Gilbert and Sullivan in the 19th century.

Ahnehnois

First Post
You've never seen a well played bard then. Or one abusing the Glibness spell for another way into Social God Mode. (Seriously, that thing makes it too easy). As for the paladin, that's a playstyle issue.
Exactly my point. While the paladin's code is written into the rules, its game-breaking power us a playstyle issue.

It's in my experience only players of historic versions of D&D that find the multiclassing rules and the AEDU box to be restrictive.
And what do they know?

On the other hand the "casting is vancian only" box is something I've noticed beginners can find hideously restrictive. And even experienced players don't like much (the sorceror player I mentioned above started playing D&D in the late 1970s). "I can cast one spell per day, then get to be utterly mundane until the next morning". That's not what a beginner signed up to when they wanted to play a wizard.
Vancian Casting is extremely narrow. So is the van Helsing based Cleric being almost essential for a party, and long bedrest.
Totally agreed. I hate Vancian magic. It's D&D though.

FWIW, 3.X, more than any other edition, has other option: the spontaneous casters, warlocks/dragonfire adepts, and a variety of supplemental and variant magic systems (spell points, spell recharge, incarnum, ToM), as well as a bevy of 3rd party completely non-Vancian magic systems (Elements of Magic...). Not that these are all good, but at least you've got choices.

Instead they want something more like AEDU with cantrips.
Gah! No! They want something without daily restrictions. Most likely, they just want to be able to cast a spell and move on without the resource management. They either expect unlimited casting, one centralized mana pool, or for spellcasters to become physically and mentally drained by the experience. Depends on their background. I don't think AEDU is any better in this regard than old-style D&D Vancian magic is.

On the other hand the AEDU structure is fairly close to a decent narrative structure (normal, scene, episode), and unlike classic D&D the casters behave like something approaching casters in non-D&D fiction
4e may not be as much of a match for classic D&D as othe editions of D&D. But it's a much better match for almost any non-D&D heroic fiction than any other edition of D&D is.
I can't think of a lot of heroic fiction where the heroes worry about whether using their daily powers on an enemy because it might or might not be "worth it". Resource management is not a factor in most fiction, and if it is, the resource is something tangible like fatigue or health, or even something intangible like faith or luck, but never the "mojo" that is implied by the metagame nature of the AEDU restrictions.

And the fighter not getting much cool stuff rather than being one of the more focal characters.
Kind of agreed. Again, there are a variety of variants that create maneuvers/stunts/etc. that give you more options. I think the 5e combat superiority thing could address this pretty well.

The key to modeling fiction, however, and to empowering fighters, would be to have more descriptive mechanics. Heroic warriors behead people in a single swing, stagger around with bleeding wounds and fight on, or use strategy to psych out their opponents. In D&D, you can't kill someone without draining their reserve of hit points, there are no injuries or wounds, and strategic options are limited. No version of D&D addresses these things particularly well; 4e is no help in that regard and even took some steps backwards with hp inflation and healing surges.

Not at all. Perfect balance is almost impossible. The question is how unbalanced it is. 4e is in about the 8 or 9 ring. 2e is in about the 4 or 5 ring, as is E6. Full court 3.X SRD is lucky to hit the paper at all - and with all splatbooks it misses the wall.
At least we finally have units for balance. Not that I particularly agree with the conclusions.

And what do they know?

Mostly about classic D&D. The more I play the more I'm convinced that diversity-by-resource-mechanics makes the resource mechanics so focal that it actively decreases the diversity in the conceptual space.

I can't think of a lot of heroic fiction where the heroes worry about whether using their daily powers on an enemy because it might or might not be "worth it". Resource management is not a factor in most fiction, and if it is, the resource is something tangible like fatigue or health, or even something intangible like faith or luck, but never the "mojo" that is implied by the metagame nature of the AEDU restrictions.

On the other hand I can think of a lot of fiction where the hero saves something big, powerful, and unexpected for the main bad guy - or has some sort of limit break in the big fights. It's not resource management - it's reaching deep within themselves for something extra under dire circumstances.

The "something big in reserve" approach therefore does fit a lot of fiction. And dailies might not be the best way of modelling it - but once you take an extended rest away from a 24 hour pattern then 'dailies' are one of the simplest ways to model this.

AEDU core is annoying. At Will/Scene/Episode/Bonus on the other hand to me fits a lot of fiction very well. It's just that stupid 8 hour sleep = extended rest that is the problem.

The key to modeling fiction, however, and to empowering fighters, would be to have more descriptive mechanics. Heroic warriors behead people in a single swing, stagger around with bleeding wounds and fight on, or use strategy to psych out their opponents. In D&D, you can't kill someone without draining their reserve of hit points, there are no injuries or wounds, and strategic options are limited.

I've said in the past and will repeat that if anyone gets a Save or Die effect, three feet of steel through the skull should do it. And do it far more comprehensively than any "word of death". Save or Die effects as a cold-steel only thing therefore make more sense than as a wizard only thing. And you underestimate 4e with short term injuries and a wide range of tactics there IMO.

fuzzlewump

First Post
Balance is damn important, and absolutely will not happen by fortuitous accident.

There really is no good excuse for a game to be released in this day and age that is not balanced except for sheer developer incompetence. Excusing bad balance is just that: making excuses for obvious problems.

For example, it is perfectly fair to criticize 4E for having classes that are insufficiently differentiated. In of itself, that is a completely independent concern from the desire for balance.
Yes! Somewhere along the line, balance became synonymous with 'boring.' Which is nonsense. Your point is readily apparent when you look at non-d20 games like Mouse Guard for example. In that game, your skills (which encompass all of the game, fighting is a skill as well) are rated 2-6. A mouse with a rating of 5 in Pathfinder, and another with a rating of 5 in Fighter are absolutely balanced (same or similar chance of success at appropriate tasks). But they are completely different in the types of tasks they can accomplish.

That said, I think in a game like D&D, people are looking for mechanical asymmetry between classes. That's fine with me, and it can be balanced, or come close to it.

First you just make assumptions using the adventure experience tally. Over the course of a 1000 XP day in a 2 man group made up of a wizard and a fighter, which we'll say is 2 fights, the fighter earned 500 using his martial prowess. The wizard earned 500 XP using magic. After that they are both ready for a long rest. The first assumption is that both should be able to contribute the same amount, just in different ways, so they both earn their share of the 1000 XP.

So, some people want big special magic, such as one spell trouncing a combat. That means that you give the wizard one very good spell, and then the rest of the time he can't do anything at all, he's totally exhausted. The fighter instead earns his 500 XP by killing 5 orcs in the first encounter, (but is totally exhausted and beaten down), and the wizard earns his 500 xp by neutralizing 5 orcs with a sleep spell in the second encounter (leaving him out of spells and with nothing else to do.)

Basically, balance is just taking that baseline and shifting the numbers around it. If you want to give the Wizard at-wills to use, then maybe that means the wizard could kill one of the orcs in the 1st encounter. The DM still gives the fighter enough orcs to chew on, 5, with 1 extra for the wizard to deal with for a total of 6 orcs. That means the wizard is earning 600 XP over the day and the fighter only 500 XP, since he's totally exhausted after 5 orcs. So, you need to make a balance decision here. Tone down sleep so that it realistically would only work on 4 orcs? Or, tone up the fighter so that 6 or 7 orcs would have been a balanced threat for him? (thus making the one the wizard is able to kill worth less proportionally). Regardless of the approach, it can (and should) be balanced.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You are paraphrasing an actual, real-world, meth-head, serial-killer-worshipping, hypocritical sociopath to bolster an argument against equality, transparency and fairness.

And you are stooping to insulting the dead. I fail to see how that's any better.

Rule #1 of EN World is, "Keep it civil." Vitriolic insults and name-calling, even of those not present, is not something we consider civil. We expect a modicum of tact, respect, and decorum around here. In addition, we also have a no-politics rule, so discussion of whether the lady's political philosophy was hypocritical or sociopathic is rather out of bounds. Please, everyone, post accordingly.

Any questions, please take it to e-mail or PM with the moderator of your choice. Thanks, all.

The Choice

First Post
The validity of an idea does not depend on its origin.

In some cases, sure, why not. In the real world, it has happened that a horrible individual espoused a "good" idea or concept.

What I'm saying is that, in game design, it's a questionnable idea, inspired by questionnable ideals, spawned by questionnable people.

Roleplaying games should never be designed to put one person over an other; there should be no "winners" in (modern) rpgs because the way one person wins is for everybody else to lose.

You could design a game where one type of character thoroughly dominates all other types (ie an unbalanced game from a character creation POV), but balance it out by making each player have a go at controlling that character. Or you could give large narrative control of the game to other characters through stuff like Fate points, bennies, what have you. It has to be explicit, though. It has to be in the game text.

Last edited:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
In that case, I challenge you to make a positive affirmation of this statement - list a "balanced" game that you've played, and explain how it's balanced.

I can think of one offhand, Capes. Its a weird little supers rpg. All the characters start off exactly balanced mechanically. It can do this, because the game is completely narrativist/abstract. The numerical values for traits only determine how well that trait can affect the dice which determine who has narrative control of goals and events in play. One person's "Fashion Sense-5" can have as much influence as another's "Deadly Shot-5". Perhaps even more directly addressing some people's concerns about balance, each and every player and character (they aren't necessarily 1 to 1) contributes to each and every scene. Come to think of it, characters don't even really mechanically advance, either, you just rewrite some of your traits to fit the changes.

I have played (Capes doesn't have a GM) my own homebrew fantasy version of Capes, and it works brilliantly. It is, however, not a very D&D like experience. The game does allow players to bring "non-person" characters into play, so that could be used to "force" more D&D tropes into the play.

Having said all that, Capes is so profoundly mechanically different from D&D that I don't imagine very much from Capes could be used to inform design of a game calling itself D&D. It would make the "leap" from 3e to 4e look like baby steps.

Remove ads