• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much should the GM talk during a session?

Tutara

Adventurer
Having played in a number of fairly different styles of game, I was wondering what people considered the 'optimal' amount of time that the GM should be talking during a session. Obviously the amount will vary from game to game and system to system, but overall what do you consider a healthy balance between players and GM?

For my part as a GM, I feel a 30/70 split in favour of the players is what I aim for, although this is by no means scientific and can be less in games that are more collaborative and more in games that are more GM led. I really struggle as a player when the GM spends twenty minutes monologuing, but I also struggle when the GM doesn't give enough detail ('There's a door. WYD?') and then punishes you as a result ('You didn't ask if there was a monster directly above you. It eats you.').

I would be curious what thoughts people had on this.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Id say its closer to 50/50 for trad games for me. I like to give detail, flavor, and occasional gravitas to scenes. Though, I expect the players to ask questions, role play their characters, and plan their advances too.

Hex08

Hero
It really depends. In some games I talk more than the players and, in some games less. My group has some who like to role-play and are very talkative, some who are just there for the combat and one who is pretty new and learning the ropes. If it's a combat heavy game or session I talk more to add some description to the fights that the players may not otherwise give. If the players are in a less combat heavy game I try and let them take the reigns.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
That's so funny, I created a thread a while back with the same 30/70 split!!!

As a D&D DM I try to turn as much talking time over to the players as possible. If I haven't created the description for something, and it's not vitally important, I'll often ask the players to describe a city, NPC, or environment. I know that doesn't work for every table, but I really like it!

bloodtide

Legend
The default for most games would seem to be DM 99/ Players 1.

A good 20% of players play "Lone Wolf" character types, and will mostly refuse to speak very much during the game....even out of character.

At least half of all players will refuse to even role play their character. So even when it comes up, the player will just say "my character says funny stuff to distract the guard."

And far too many players just play solo, and ignore the other players and characters, so they don't talk to them.

But it should be DM 70/Players 30, in a "perfect game".

G

Guest 7034872

What I'm trying to do (it's still a slog right now, but I'm trying) is work it so I as DM talk about as much as any one player does. But we have six players in our campaign, so that means I need to clamp down hard on my own chatter.

You know what has helped me a lot with getting a feel for whether I'm talking too much or not in session? Record the sessions and then watch last week's recording a few days before each new session.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Different types of scenes end up with different ratios.

For example in combat the DM is interacting with every player on their turn, and interacting with player(s) when foes go. So with a five person party they talk about 1/6 of the time.

In an RP heavy scene with NPCs there may be a back and forth, with the DM responding to every player comment, so closer to 50/50.

In a planning scene between character, a DM may only say something when asked a question and it's a small fraction of the total time.

So I would think the ratio of DM to players talking depends a lot of style of game and the wants of the table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads