• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Much Steel can a Longbow Pierce?

DarkSoldier

First Post
Can anybody answer this question? I need to know for a story I'm writing if a traditional English longbow can penetrate or otherwise inconvenience the armour of a main battle tank or armoured personnel carrier.

If such a feat is impossible for a longbow, I'd still like to know.

Bront

The man with the probe
I doubt it's possable to pierce a modern tank, but some cars, or the realy old tanks, maybe.

Do a search on Longbow Penetration, and see what you get.

Geoff Watson

First Post
It depends on the pull. A really big, strong bow can penetrate more.

But, since a longbow only rarely penetrated human armour it will have no chance against tank armour. Maybe a normal car.

Geoff.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Car bodies are made out of mild steel for the most part. I recall a 9 year old boy (me) who once dented the roof of a car with one blow. Things haven't changed all that much in the past 42 years.

AFV armor a longbow arrow just aint going through. What you need to look for are design mistakes. Such as the fuel tank the Soviets used to put on their tanks to extend the range. The expectation was that the enemy would always be in front of the tank. On a model like the Joseph Stalin II the tank wasn't even armored, and even deisel fuel will go up when it drips on a hot tank engine.

BTW, in the modern car the hard points, of all things, are the windows. A longbow arrow has a better chance of getting through the hood and firewall than the front window.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
DarkSoldier said:
Can anybody answer this question? I need to know for a story I'm writing if a traditional English longbow can penetrate or otherwise inconvenience the armour of a main battle tank or armoured personnel carrier.

If such a feat is impossible for a longbow, I'd still like to know.

If a simple arrow could easily penetrate a tank, you'd see soldiers equipped with crossbows again :)

Modern tanks aren't just steel plate. They are composites of steel or titanium, ceramics, and plastic honeycombs. The sides of the tank are sloped and shaped to deflect projectiles, and so on. While one might think, "perhaps they've engineered so much to take on bullets and missiles that they've overstepped and will let arrows through," that simply isn't the case. Tanks and APCS are also designed to take on shrapnel, which is often moving much more slowly than your common bullet.

Black Omega

First Post
Longbows could not always pierce medieval steel armor. Their changes of piercing a tank are pretty much nil. I'd never have thought of the question, though.:)

Remove ads