How Mythusmage Would Change D&D for 4th Edition if Wizards Hired Him

Dog Moon

Adventurer
For another suggestion: no duplicate art. I hate the acid burnt boots, the broken sword, etc that's seen in like 75% of the books. Also, there's a female dwarf picture that isn't really great, but it's used for two PrCs, one in each of two different books. To me, that's just bad.

I love art, though, and the covers are cool. A lot of the inside artwork just plain sucks though. People need to look closely at that and take out the bad stuff [and duplicates].

Hussar

Legend
Considering some of the absolutely fantastic art that's gone into some recent WOTC books, I don't think minimalist is the way to go. But, I could be wrong.

Would it be possible to release different copies? Say a very minimalist Core set along the lines of what MM is talking about and a "Special Edition" set for those who want books that look really good, similar to the "Special Edition" PHB that came out a while ago. I don't know if that's possible or not given money restraints, but that would seem to answer both sides of the issue. You want a pretty book, you pay a little (or a lot) extra. You just want the bare bones and don't care all that much what it looks like, get the cheaper edition.

3 ring binders sound really cool until you realize that DnD players flip through their books pretty often. Unless you can make three holes made out of tungsten steel so they don't rip after a couple of uses, I'd veto that idea. My 2e Monster Manual became three binders because I put all the pages into slip covers so the holes would stop ripping. Not my idea of fun.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Hussar said:
Would it be possible to release different copies?

You mean like the commercial books and the SRD? The SRD is as minimalist as it gets. And if you want it in a ring binder -- one item per page -- take several weekends and customize the SRD to fit your needs.

So far all of the "changes" would not, in my opinion, improve the line.

glass

(he, him)
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Whereas I'm of the opinion that the 3.0 and 3.5 Core Rulebooks are some of the best looking RPG products I've ever purchased. I love the dragonscale cover of the MM, the lock device on the DMG, etc.

I like the 3.0/3.5 covers too, but every gimmick gets old eventually. A new edition would be an ideal time for something new.

I would question the continuation of the 'monster books are a different colour' thing. What is so special about monster books that maked them different from any other DM-focused book?

glass.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I recall that Ryan Dancey once suggested releasing different aesthetic editions of the core rules - for instance, a set illustrated in the manga style, a set illustrated in traditional Elmore/Caldwell/old-school-esque style . . .

glass

(he, him)
I am actually more concerned about the spines than the covers, as that's what you see most when the books are not in use (lined up on your shelf).

I just hope they's decide a position and size for the logo and title and stick with it, so that they line up on the shelf. I know it's a small point, but a little attention to detail goes a long way.

glass.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
mhacdebhandia said:
I recall that Ryan Dancey once suggested releasing different aesthetic editions of the core rules - for instance, a set illustrated in the manga style, a set illustrated in traditional Elmore/Caldwell/old-school-esque style . . .

If I recall correctly, that was Ryan reporting Johnathan Tweet's idea, and saying he didn't agree with it much. :)

glass

(he, him)
mhacdebhandia said:
Henry said:
If I recall correctly, that was Ryan reporting Johnathan Tweet's idea, and saying he didn't agree with it much.
Whoever's idea it was, I think it'd be kinda cool if it could be made to work. Of course, commisioning a multiple sets of new art for what I assume would be limited edition books might turn out to be prohibitively expensive, but it's a nice idea IMO.

glass.

Remove ads