• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How necessary is Spellcraft for a Sorceror?

Pazu

First Post
Well, actually, a Rogue/Sorceror who's aiming for Arcane Trickster (we'll see if she makes it that far)...

This is a brand-new character who's right now a level 0/0 rogue/sorceror (rogue primary), consequently with pretty much all of her allotted skill points in roguish-type skills. Although she'll have to end up as a rog3/sor6 before she can start as an Arcane Trickster, I see this character more as a rogue than a primary spellcaster. Thus, I'm tempted to put most of her sorceror skill points into Concentration (and the requisite ranks in Knowledge: Arcana), and use whatever's left to bump up her rogue skills as much as possible.

So, is Spellcraft a useful skill for such a character?

Thanks for all opinions!

-- Pazu

I could see it being quite usefull in your line of work. If I haven't totaly forgotten my rules Spellcraft is the skill that lets you determine, from effects and what-not, what spell an object has on it. Then there's the whole "What spell is that guy trying to catch me casting?" Usefull in situations where you have to decide between running or lobbing a dagger (or whatever) at the spellcaster to interupt thier Hold Person spell so that you can make a get-away.

Hatchling Dragon

drakhe

First Post
My main use for spellcraft is identifying spells being cast to be able to counterspell them. Problem is: counterspelling is only interesting if you have an idea what to expect beforehand and can prepare spells that yuo'd be contering with, or otherwise high-level characters that have many slots available so they generaly have available what lesser level mage's try to cast.

But in general I'd say: have a look in the PHB to give you an idea what you can do with spellcraft and see what you'd be inclined to use. This might give you a good idea wether spellcraft is for you.

bret

First Post
Pazu said:
Although she'll have to end up as a rog3/sor6 before she can start as an Arcane Trickster, I see this character more as a rogue than a primary spellcaster.

You need 4 levels of rogue in order to get 7 ranks in the Decipher Script exclusive skill.

Poltergeist

First Post
While spellcraft can be useful, given the poverty of skill points I think that they can be better used elsewhere. Taking advantage of your high charisma with cross class ranks in bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate, or in tumble allowing you to move about the battle field without AoO.

I also like the idea of going spellcraftless (and perhaps even Knowlege: Arcanaless) with a sorcerer to coincide with the "innate" spellcasting ability. "Hey, I can just make this stuff happen but I don't know about all that wizard mumbo-jumbo..."

Omega Lord

First Post
Well, if youre shooting for epic levels (and epic spellcasting) spellcraft and knowledge arcana are about the most important skills to have maxed out.

darkbard

Legend
epic rules notwithstanding, why is it so necessary to take knowledge (arcana)? as a sorcerer, you're assumed to not have any special magical training. i see spellcraft over knowledge (arcana) as a more viable sorcerer skill [your character can recognize the magical forces at work but doesn't have much book-learnin'].

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Spellcraft is pretty necessary as an Arcane Trickster. There will be many times when you might need to know the school of magic for a particular magical trap. You may want to know the school of magic looting items. You probably want to know what kind of spells are being cast at you so you know how to defend yourself. Spellcraft is a very useful skill for any type of caster.

SimonMoon5

First Post
I'd say the character can get away with no Spellcraft (or maybe just one rank if you want to at least have some chance to use the skill). Yeah, you can identify schools of magic with detect magic: no big deal. If it's a trap, you'd want to disarm it anyway. Yeah, you can identify what spells the bad guy is casting. That's a nice ability, but hardly crucial, especially if someone else in the group has enough Spellcraft to tell what spells are being cast... and anyway, it's often not too hard to tell. "We just got hit by a ball of fire... I bet he cast Fireball." Or... "The villain now gets two actions a turn... I bet he cast Haste." Or... "We can't seem to hit the villain now. I bet he cast Shield."

A sorcerer has too limited a spell selection to expect to get much use out of counterspelling, so that's not a big issue, imho.

Last edited:

tarchon

First Post
You can counterspell with Dispel Magic BTW (without needing the spellcraft check), but with limited skill points, I'd agree it's probably not worth putting more than a few points on it. It is a trained only skill though, so it might be worth a point or two, just so you can have some chance at it.
My bard character uses spellcraft pretty frequently for analyzing spell effects (esp. with Det Magic), figuring out what other spellcasters are doing, etc., but I also have a heap of skill points to spend on it.
The one other cute thing about it is that synergizes with Use Magic Device for scrolls. Currently it's my number four skill after Perform, Bluff, and Tumble, tied with Move Silently, Climb, and Decipher Script.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads