• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How not to read an encounter (Kots Spoilers)

Shabe

First Post
So erm yeah, hi, I DM, I'm currently DMing Keep on the Shadowfell. We've been going at a reasonable pace of 1-2 fights per 3 hour session, last night they decided to wander through the terror maze, not daring to touch a single rune, eventually they decided to go to the south and after slaying the measley number of zombies there, they went on to investigate the crypt with its sarcophigai (sp?).

How the encounter reads. When any character goes past the middle two sarcophigai 8 decrepit skeles and 2 skele warriors emerge. Every round there after, for 5 rounds, a random set of two sarcophigai generates another 2 decrepit skeles. 5 minutes after the trap is triggered it starts again.

How i read it. When any character goes past the middle two sarcophigai 8 decrepit skeles and 2 skele warriors emerge. Every 5 rounds all the sarcophigai deposit their original contents, after 5 minutes this stops. Seeing as i had a party of 6 i thought bah i'll shorten that down to 3 rounds.

It turned into a great encounter, in 3 rounds the characters had just killed the last skeleton, when BAM they turned up out of the crypts again, the players started going hang on a minute this could be bad. Then after another 3 rounds they had one minion left, and BAM fresh skeletons, this kicked the PCs into action who started making a beeline for the silvery light at the eastern end, with concentrated fire and the wizard sweeping up the minions from behind. The front line was in quite bad shape at this time and the party was down to one inspiring word. 3 rounds later they had cleared a path and one skeleton warrior was still alive from the last group and BAM the skeletons turned up again, after a round of beating and sweat on the brows of most of the party as they were all bloodied the warlock hit on a inspired (and accounted for by the adventure) idea to pray to bahumat that they were there to help.

Making for a rather tense exciting encounter.

So yeah if you want to make your adventure tougher just misread the encounter ;)

Vurt

First Post
There are a couple of places in KotS where my DM made things harder by deliberately misreading what was written.

The encounter with Irontooth, for one. We allowed one of the kobolds outside the lair to return to it and warn the inhabitants. At which point the DM surmised that it was illogical for the second batch of kobolds to come out a few rounds after the first. We got them all at once.

Also, in the final battle with Kalarel, as written the wight is supposed to stay on his perch and do his thing from there, instead of, duh, using his fear ability to push the adventurers into the portal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads