• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you use the new templates?

Appleseeth

First Post
I was just up to applying another template, and got to thinking, am I the only DM who is constantly using these new monster templates? I think I'm applying one about every 2-3 encounters. They do take some time to apply, but not as much I find as the 3.5 ones.

So I guess my other questions for you would be: Is there a particular template you use more often? Do you think it is easier or harder than the old 3.5 ones? Am I just really obsessed with giving my players an Elite beating?

Also, why do you think there aren't any Solo templates? I really wish there was one. Maybe I'll try coming up with one on my own...

Shroomy

Adventurer
I've used the demagogue and feyborn templates, but none of the others (so far). I actually wish that their were more templates available; the FRCG has three (if you include the swordmage template) and Dragon released the huecuva template, but I want more.

ObsidianCrane

First Post
I probably use one an adventure currently. I've used the Frost Adept, Demagogue, Death Lord (The one that takes away Radiant vulnerability for undead), and the Feyborn ones.

I partially used the Warlord one as well. I took it and tweaked the resulting monster to where I wanted it.

I find the basic templates easy to apply, but need to experiment with the NPC ones some more. But overall they are easier to use than the 3.X stuff.

The classed NPC ones are a bit tough to apply (as the powers aren't included in the block, so you have to do some page flipping) but I've found the basic ones a really great aid.
So far I've used the Demagogue and Shadowborn templates, and will probably use a Bodyguard template in my next game.

Obryn

Hero
I've used the Death Master template for one of the foes in KotS to compensate for a larger party size.

It was very, very easy.

-O

Jhaelen

First Post
Also, why do you think there aren't any Solo templates? I really wish there was one. Maybe I'll try coming up with one on my own...
Well, you can easily get there by stacking two templates. For recurring BBEGs I'd recommend applying one of the npc templates and one of the others.

Alternatively just start with an Elite and apply a template :p

Mr. Teapot

First Post
I made a lot of templated enemies for an upcoming game, but haven't gotten to use them yet. The Warforged Infernal warlock with the Savage Berserker template might be near unkillable, though, what with loads of Temp HPs, constant regeneration and an at-will counterattack towards any melee attacks.

In one of our games we've been freeing a city from illithid control, and each mind flayer had a different template applied. This made each fight a bit different and kept things interesting, which was good (and made the illithid tougher than his surrounding goons by virtue of being elite).

davethegame

Explorer
Oddly, I haven't used them at all in 4e, but used them all the time in 3e. (and it hadn't occurred to me that I wasn't using them until I saw this thread.)

I find that the uplevel/downlevel rules work just fine for everything I need.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads