D&D 5E How often do you use tool proficiencies?

A friend of mine is working on an expansion of the rules for tool proficiencies, and asked for my thoughts. I'm at a bit of a loss, because I basically never worry about them. If your character is proficient in some tools and I'm the GM, I might try to fit in one or two scenes where it's narratively pertinent, but I think I've never really made them critical to the success or failure of an adventure. I see them as existing for flavor, and frankly for a tabletop game I can't imagine them mattering on any regular basis, so I'd rather they have as minimal a ruleset as possible.

But do you use them in your games? Do you want more expanded crafting mechanics? Would you be interested in, for instance, an adventure where some competing guilds have set up traps or puzzles that are easier to deal with if you have the right tool proficiencies?

In Pathfinder I played the Iron Gods adventure path, and my character's goal was to build a sword as a dowry for his fiancee's father, using exotic materials from crashed spaceships. I'd kinda hoped it would be an ongoing element of the plot, but the GM never really engaged with it, and somewhere around part 4 of the AP I made a quick skill check and had a nifty sword that was, like, useless to the party, since we had laser guns and rocket launchers. Maybe that soured me to the whole conceit of tools and crafting in games.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Tools come up quite a bit in my games, especially my current Eberron campaign. Thieves' tools, tinker tools, forgery kit, carpenters tools, land vehicles, and disguise kit are the most common in that game. Cobblers tools, navigators tools, and cartographers tools are very useful in one of my games which has a lot of exploration challenges such as in my small hexcrawl or town-to-dungeon game.

Tools probably get used a fair amount in my games in part because I only ask for ability checks and players add whatever skill or tool proficiency applies, based on their description. I believe this increases their willingness to use tools to solve problems.

keynup

Explorer
I'm still adjusting to 5e from previous editions, but I see tool use as also including knowledge and all aspects surrounding the tools.
Tool use land vehicle and I'd let you repair a broken axle, or the best way to one moving that's stuck.
You don't need actual tool to understand if something is trapped

Ashrym

Legend
I use tools as a player because I took proficiency in them with the expectation I would be using them; therefore I take actions that involve using the tools I expected to use. ;)

As a DM, it just depends on if the players are taking actions that use their tools. If players are looking at XGtE for uses and examples that tends to increase the use of some of the non-standard tools like cook's utensils.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My inventor uses Tinkers Tools, Alchemists Supplies, Navigators Tools, and Vehicles (Sea), quite often. My wife’s Ranger uses her Herbalism Kit and Cooks Utensils Frequently.

Li Shenron

Legend
But do you use them in your games? Do you want more expanded crafting mechanics? Would you be interested in, for instance, an adventure where some competing guilds have set up traps or puzzles that are easier to deal with if you have the right tool proficiencies?

Not particularly interested in crafting, but generally YES I would like to see short lists of additional things you can do if you have a specific tool proficiency, because it's a way to enhance the exploration pillar which is as usual left behind in attention by designers compared to combat.

Other than the expected crafting, I will absolutely let a PC make a tool check for something if they can make the case that it applies. Former blacksmith wants to take the door off its hinges instead of dealing with the lock? Sure, make that check! Ex-carpenter wants to use their skill in woodworking to check for a hidden compartment in the desk? Go for it!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've just started playing an Artificer. Tool proficiencies are a big part of the package - by level three I expect to have... Thieve's, Tinker's, Alchemists, Herbalists, Blacksmith's, and I think one other tool proficiency. So, I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for opportunities.

Remove ads