• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often does Grappling happen in your game?

prospero63

First Post
It happens every now and again.

[My players, stop reading now!!!!]

Unfortunately, I suspect in the next session they are getting ready to get torn up by a few grapplers...

Jhulae said:
Right. But, how many players or DMs that have PCs that get swallowed actually know the rules? Because, my guess is that a *lot* of PCs are getting off a lot better than they should be.

A lot isn't all. You'd be amazed at how many have that magical gauntlet that lets you store things like short swords. (No one is cutting their way out with a greataxe.)

Jhulae

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
A lot isn't all. You'd be amazed at how many have that magical gauntlet that lets you store things like short swords. (No one is cutting their way out with a greataxe.)

With all the other gauntlet slot items that are available? I'm thinking it might not be as many as you're thinking it is, either.

And, I'm also guessing that there are many players and DMs who don't realize that a swallowed character is considered Grappled..

Menexenus

First Post
I must be a nicer DM than I thought, because my monsters initiate grapples on average about one session in 10. Basically, if the monster's description doesn't have Improved Grab or some other natural affinity with grappling, then I figure it's not part of that monster's fighting style. The only exception to this is when the party is fighting a tribe of much less powerful foes who have basically no chance of doing damage any other way.

The PCs IMC only initiate grapples against fellow PCs who have been charmed/dominated. They never use it against opponents.

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
My group never uses Grapple unless we have to (generally if we have to stop a charmed npc or something).

Becuase we never use it nobody really knows the rules.
When it is used the game stops while we look up said rules and figure them out (generally twice..once for the grapple and once for "okay he's grappled now what?).

Thus becuase it's a big hastle for the group nobody wants to use, nobody uses it and the rules remain 'that one section in the book we only use if we have no other choice'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads