• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How open are you about playing DnD?

Shy about playing DnD?

• Rather petrified. No-non gamer knows.

Votes: 45 13.7%
  • Pretty open, perhaps not with everyone.

Votes: 152 46.3%
  • Not in the least bit shy.

Votes: 123 37.5%
  • Other. Please do explain?

Votes: 8 2.4%

jgsugden

Legend
I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my role playing. I do it because I enjoy it, but it is neither a badge of honor nor a stain of shame to me.

In general, it comes up in conversation rarely, but neither does my saxophone, my interest in science fiction or my wood working.

I do 'hide' it from people that I think would react negatively to it, such as a few senior partners, etc ... I also make an effort to share it with people that would show an interest, but in general, it is just a part of my life like any other part.

Mercule

Adventurer
I usually don't mention it. I don't usually hide it, either. I've been around some people who (without even knowing I gamed) seemed to want to specifically bash D&D for no reason. That said, most of my coworkers have usually known. I just started a new job, though, so I'm still 'in the closet' for now.

About the only place I actually 'hide' it is at church, which is sad. It's not that I'm embarrased or that I think the people are morons -- they just have bad information. I've had the conversation too many times to care anymore. It doesn't help them to know, nor hurt them to not know. Likewise for me about informing them. If it ever came up, I'd defend it, but I'm not going to pick a fight. Likewise, anyone with whom I associate outside of church, it's in the open.

EricNoah said:
Friends, family and some co-workers know. I don't usually bring it up unless I'm asked about it or there's a compelling need to explain why I know some weird bit of trivia. :)
I would've thought you could pass that off to being surrounded by books all day.

stevelabny

Explorer
This is EMBARASSING.
It really is.

I voted NOT IN THE LEAST BIT SHY.

And I'll add this. I wouldnt even play with the 14 petrified people. And I might think twice about playing with the people who arent open with everyone, depending on the circumstances. I understand some people are just shy in general and dont openly talk about their personal lives and hobbies with co-workers and acquaintances, I also understand that some people just dont want to try to explain why its not satanic to their 50 year old and over relatives. But if youre just afraid that your peers will make fun of you for your hobby? If you cant respect yourself and your hobbies enough to stand up for them, why would I?

Its really really SAD that in this day and age with so many other minorities and socially unaceppted peoples have stormed into popular culture and gained more acceptance, that you guys still can't find a backbone.

Is this post harsh? YES, but consider this an intervention from the OTHER side. Bash down the closet door and breathe the fresh air of freedom.

And yes, I'm aware I live in a big city where people are more free and open, BUT unless you're under 18, if you dont like the social aspects of where you live, MOVE.

Last edited:

T. Foster

First Post
A related question, especially for those of you 'somewhat in the closet' (poll choice #2). How do you handle this situation:

An acquaintance/co-worker/random stranger/whoever who doesn't know you're a gamer a propos of nothing in particular mentions "yeah, I used to play D&D all the time" and proceeds to relate a few old gaming war-stories that make abundantly clear that the person in question both hasn't played the game a day since his twelfth birthday and also has a completely munchy view of it ("this one time we killed Zeus and it was awesome..."). Do you: 1) laugh at the guy for being such a geek; 2) act like you don't know what he's talking about; 3) nod agreement but don't elaborate; 4) invite him to the next session; 5) lecture him about how serious roleplayers approach the game and that his 12-year-old antics were a travesty; or 6) something else entirely? This sort of thing happens to me all the time. I almost always go with choice #3 but am wondering how other people, especially 'semi-closeted' gamers, react.

shilsen

Adventurer
T. Foster said:
A related question, especially for those of you 'somewhat in the closet' (poll choice #2). How do you handle this situation:

An acquaintance/co-worker/random stranger/whoever who doesn't know you're a gamer a propos of nothing in particular mentions "yeah, I used to play D&D all the time" and proceeds to relate a few old gaming war-stories that make abundantly clear that the person in question both hasn't played the game a day since his twelfth birthday and also has a completely munchy view of it ("this one time we killed Zeus and it was awesome..."). Do you: 1) laugh at the guy for being such a geek; 2) act like you don't know what he's talking about; 3) nod agreement but don't elaborate; 4) invite him to the next session; 5) lecture him about how serious roleplayers approach the game and that his 12-year-old antics were a travesty; or 6) something else entirely? This sort of thing happens to me all the time. I almost always go with choice #3 but am wondering how other people, especially 'semi-closeted' gamers, react.
I'd just say something like, "Yeah, I play D&D too." If I'm interested in prolonging the conversation (not likely), I'd say, "But I don't think you'd like my kind of game," and elaborate if asked.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'm pretty open about my hobby, but I don't share that knowledge with certain people. Really uptight religious people, close-minded know-it-alls, or any gal I happen to be dating (until like the 3rd date) don't get told about my hobby. It just saves from trouble mostly. However, most people I work with know I game. Heck, I even read out Jonrog's Drunken Southern Girls with Guns and Zombie Toddlers story hour one slow day!

Kane

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
Not in the least bit. I got tired of hiding the fact that I game when when I was 15. That was 20 years ago. My wife and I are very open about our hobby. In fact, she recently had to go to Boulder, CO for work-related training. The first day as each person stood to introduce themselves and tell a bit about what they do, she said that one of her hobbies as RPGs. It turns out, several others there were gamers, too, and when she proudly stated she was in front of everyone, they flocked to her later during lunch.

hunter1828

Salad Shooter

First Post
I'm not the least bit shy about it. I'm a certified Geek/Dork/Nerd etc etc. My one friend is funny, though. When were gaming a dorm room, he insists on the door being shut and locked throughout the entire session. Ah, well, c'est la vie.

elvnsword

First Post
Shy... NAY!!! I decided long ago that If I gave a darn whenever somone said I was geeky, I would be darned till the end of time. I have been a non gamer geek since 3rd grade and I am 22 now... ::laughs:: D&D just gave me friends as geeky as me!

Remove ads